Originally Posted By: Taym
Thanks guys.

After some further research, I am trying CDRoller. Well, I tested the trial version which reported that one of my failing CDs was in fact recoverable (it took a very, very long time to read). Unfortunately I need to purchase the software to actually pull put data form the CD, but, assuming it is telling the truth, it may be worth the expense ($ 40 for data I somewhat care about).
I am now testing the other unreadable CDs before making a decision.

I would guess there's some free alternative out there, actually.

CD readers: back in the days, I actually had few SCSI plextor readers, which had a stellar reputation. Using them now is not that trivial. I'd have to dig out or buy a SCSI controller for those. frown
Whatever extraction software you use, it will have an advantage if the CD drive is providing the best quality data read possible.

Using an older model PATA Plextor drive may work well if the extraction software can work optimally through a USB to PATA adaptor.

I happen to keep an old-school Dell laptop docking station on hand for this sort of thing. The docking station has a PATA bus inside and a PCI bus with two slots. Plus the matching ancient laptop, of course.

When push comes to shove sometimes one needs to utilize old hardware to solve a problem.