Not insensitive, but I think a lot of folks don't know how rarely and occasionally the more southern areas have serious snow.

When we got the "Snowmageddon" (and its followup "Snoverkill") in 2010, we were without power for most of a week. I was getting really worried about the pipes - inside temps were in the mid 30's when the power finally came back on.

Blizzards: all fun and games until someone loses their power!

The DC area averages a little more than a foot of snow a year, and usually in nice, bite-sized portions - the sort that solar plowing usually clears in a day or so. (As long as the idiots are paying attention and not abandoning cars everywhere, anyway.)

2010 and this one were two of the 5, top, all-time snowstorms in DC. Two to three feet falling in a day and a half is way more than any of our jurisdictions are able to handle effectively. My Montgomery County assures us that every county road will have seen a plow by 7am tomorrow - almost 5 days after the first flakes fell, and no more than a single lane scraped in many places.

My little Town of 350 houses has a couple maintenance guys; they usually have no trouble keeping up with snow. This time, they were running the plow and the bobcat non-stop from midday Friday until late Sunday afternoon. There was so much snow that it fell back onto the street over the plow. They needed the bobcat to move that snow into the parks.

Of course, my street is the town sledding hill; I have no idea when I'll be plowed out. We did build a nice luge run. And I dragged some groceries in on a sled today. It's (mostly) fun, though!

-jk