Originally Posted By: drakino
RWD, FWD, AWD, didn't really matter when all 4 tires simply spin without moving the vehicle forward.
Ahhh... memories.

I remember stopping at a minor accident scene (school bus slid just far enough off the road that it couldn't get going again), and once I was stopped in the middle of the lane, the camber of the road was enough that my 4WD Toyota Landcruiser quietly slid sideways down towards the ditch, stopping when the off-side wheels hit the snowbank.

Another time, in Eugene, Oregon, I had to make it to Portland in time to catch an airplane, a 110 mile trip. It had snowed earlier that day, then the temperature warmed up enough that Interstate 5 was a sheet of ice with water standing on it. Air temperature about 35 degrees, ground temperature about 30. There were cars and trucks off the road about every half mile. Going up the gentle grades on the road was a real problem because the slightest increase in power to overcome the hill caused the rear end to break loose. Years of Alaskan driving experience proved invaluable then, knowing how to feather the throttle at the first sign of slippage to stay coupled up to the road. I was by far the fastest vehicle on the road that day, making the trip without too much drama.

Oh, BTW, I was on a 600cc BMW motorcycle.

tanstaafl.