... as a side observation:

This is a guy who spent a lot of time finding an RDP-open machine somewhere in the world, with some simple scanner, and put time and effort and knowledge in getting in, to find out it could be a "good" target, implant the ransom-ware, and hope all goes "well" so that I would pay him 300$, or maybe $1000. Of course, before finding me, the guy must have attempted at many other people. For every ransom you do get, maybe 100 attempts (1000?) fail.
This, guys, seems a real job. Not at all easy money. Maybe this guy works for a larger organization.
I mean, this is pretty different than emailing the ransomware to a million emails and wait. This is work put into penetrating a remote machine patched to the latest fix released. Pretty serious stuff, considering this is a home server of some guy, and not the NSA.

I am basically observing what Tom mentioned above.
Originally Posted By: drakino
There's a lot more money in this sort of stuff then there used to be ages ago. Larger groups will intentionally horde exploits not known by the vendor to sell to the rich, and smaller groups or individuals buy these exploits to turn around and hit machines like yours.

It's just sad people put their time into this. I know I sound so rhetorical, but so many good things could be done instead of this stuff. This guy has a sad life... Oh well.

Edited by Taym (18/02/2016 00:20)
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg