Originally Posted By: Taym
Well, I consider myself knowledgeable enough to easily survive similar attacks, even in the worst case scenario where instead of few thousand files I had to restore everything, ground up.
But to many, being hit by ransomware means a big deal - economically, emotionally, psychologically.
Generally speaking, choosing to harm others in this way has no justification, if not in a very broad sense.
I don't hate this person. But I don't particularly like him/her either that much.

Mostly agreed. The impact of being the victim of these actions is not trivial or good either. My feelings towards whomever did it is separate from my feelings towards their actions and the feelings I have towards your own personhood and actions in response.

My feeling bad for whomever is from a slight understanding of how hard life is in Russia. And for them possibly feeling that these actions they have taken may have been necessary in their world view. After close to 3 years of living in crisis again, it's renewed my desire to halt cycles of hatred or abuse, while also not letting my own humanity die in the process.

Don't get me wrong, I also completely get that the person who did this may have been doing so purely to be malicious, with no survival or other base aspects on the line. Those types of people in this world are thankfully very rare. I also refuse to allow actions from such people impact my general humanity towards any other living thing.

The reason I shared the game specific story is that I greatly appreciated THQ's response to illegal actions done against a game I helped create. THQ never condoned the actions that happened, however they did seek to understand the why, and resolve it in a great way for all involved. The team at Vigil was damn impressed on the technical side knowing what efforts the Russian group went through to reverse engineer a proprietary game engine to localize it.

(As a personal request, please be careful when quoting and replying to half a sentence/thought. The segment you cut was very much tied to why I said that, and the quote appears to drop the important context)