Originally Posted By: drakino
The speed difference makes it sound like something isn't running at USB 3 speeds. Perhaps a missing driver in the Acronis boot environment leading to USB2 fallback kicking in.

That was also my suspicion. If Acronis had a "live" clone mode where it could clone while windows was running, then it wouldn't have had this problem. Unfortunately, it didn't offer me that choice. When I told it to clone the drive, it said that I *must* reboot the computer into its PXE environment in order to complete the process.

When I woke up this morning, Acronis still said 14 hours to go, so I canceled the process. If its PXE can't handle a common years-old Intel USB3 chipset, screw it.

A quick experiment with the Samsung bundled cloning software showed that:
- It will do the job "live" while Windows is running (after giving you a message that you should leave your files closed while it runs).
- It proceeded much faster, predicting a completion in just a couple hours.

I didn't have time to let it run to completion, so I don't know how successful it would have been at making a truly bootable drive in the process. When I get back home and have some time I'll give it a shot.