Those are all nice options for some situations, but none are really standalone appliances, that one can easily pick up and move from study to garage, workshop, back deck, or holiday cottage.

I too have a "computer" that plays internet radio through tinny little speakers, and likewise a smartphone that can do it if I'm willing to allow the apps to steal/spam my contacts list in the process.

My home theatre system can play internet radio through the 5.1 speaker system, but it isn't really audible when working in the garage. smile

Thus the desire for a self-contained internet radio appliance. Well, it does need wifi, but that's ubiquitous enough, and it needs mains power or a 12V battery.

We got one for my Mother-in-Law a decade ago, and I've wanted one for ourselves ever since. But that model (Sanyo) has long since been discontinued, and I couldn't find another I liked as much until recently.

Sure, they have a spyware app one can use to control it, but really.. it has a colour display and buttons for that purpose already!

Cheers