Originally Posted By: K447
I am currently using an Anker SoundCore Sport XL, purchased after a referral from someone on here. Quite compact and decent battery duration, I just stream from my iPhone wherever I want to listen, and of course it could be plugged into USB charger for unlimited playing.

That was probably me. I really like mine, even though it seems to get pretty bad wireless interference in my home. I don't know if it's my house or my neighbor's (he seems to be juicing his wireless radios).

Originally Posted By: mlord
Those are all nice options for some situations, but none are really standalone appliances, that one can easily pick up and move from study to garage, workshop, back deck, or holiday cottage.

Thus the desire for a self-contained internet radio appliance. Well, it does need wifi, but that's ubiquitous enough, and it needs mains power or a 12V battery.

Amazon has a portable version of their Echo called the Tap. The only difference is that it doesn't have always-listening and it can run on battery power. It can play from sources like TuneIn.

But I totally get using a self-contained "appliance" device like that.