I go to movies all the time. I think your experience was an outlier, Glenn, and also depends on the theater you go to. There are three different chains in my area that I go to, and at worst they put the ads on before the advertised start time. That's what AMC does. Regal is a chain near me that does the same.

Originally Posted By: Tim
However, next time I'm in Omaha, I am going to go see something at the Alamo Drafthouse simply because it looks amazing.

That's the third theater near me, and yes, it's amazing. Easily the best movie theater in the DC area. They have no ads that I've seen.

They also prize the moviegoing experience above all else, so you'll get top-notch projection and great sound. I've gone to other theaters where the projection was dim and the volume too low, and the experience was no good. You don't get that sort of thing at the Alamo. Also their pizzas are incredible.

Quick story: I went to a show at the Alamo recently, and there was occasional construction noise that was audible from next door. It was only mildly irritating, and I was able to enjoy the movie just fine. When they brought my receipt for the soda I'd ordered, there was a coupon for a free ticket with it. They took that initiative.