Speaking of garages. We put a fair amount of effort into organizing ours so that all three vehicles can still squish inside during the winter, along with all of the junk we store there.

The key was making use of the 12.5' tall space by constructing a mezzanine across much of the back of the garage, evenly splitting the space. There is just enough headroom both above and below the platform for me to walk around without bumping my head. Taller people beware!

SWMBO parks her Civic in the far right bay, partially under the storage level. The big pick-up truck with snowplow parks in the central area, and my Impreza lives in the left bay.

And yes, that is a home-brew elevator just left of the orange 8' stepladder. It is powered by a 120VAC hoist, rated at 400KG, and will lift/lower anything we can fit onto its platform. Very handy for larger/heavier items.

The photo here is from late summer, before I finished drywalling the rest of the space. We hired painters after that to double-coat it all in white, which really brightened things up. Added more shelving too since the photo was taken.

That's the inverter for the solar panels in the left corner above the work table.

Attachments
garage.jpg (212 downloads)
Description: Garage