Originally Posted By: Dignan
A word for and against the OnHub/Google WiFi:

First, against:

Dan, did you notice that Google chose a subnet for you? As far as I can tell, they force you to use a subnet of their choosing, usually 192.168.86.1. I don't see a way to change that. It's not the end of the world but it's weird.

Yup, Google takes this level of control out of your hands. At least there was an "advanced" setting in there so I could direct port 22 to my desktop, allowing me to ssh in from the outside. Nothing else I do requires anything beyond the standard NAT functionality.

An amusing related thought: my Nexus 5X bit the dust yesterday. Some sort of common "bootloop" error that results from a hardware failure. Anyway, I originally paid for the extended warranty, so I ponied up $70 and a new phone should be arriving today (although it's nearly 10pm and no delivery truck yet). Well, without my phone, I cannot administrate my network. Everything is built around the phone app. I've got so damn many apps for all the things that reinstalling everything on a new phone seems to be about as much fun as changing your credit number when it's being used for auto-pay on a zillion web sites.