Originally Posted By: larry818
What do you wanna bet that the faxes, when received by the insurance company, are converted to emails and sent to someone?
I think maybe not.

The claims are digitized in one form or another (PDF or maybe some proprietary format) and stored on the company server where the Claim Denial Department can access them. When I call the company to discuss (read: argue about) a claim, the Claim Denier can quickly find it based on the Date of Service and see on her (it's usually a "her") screen an exact image of my original claim. She cannot accept an email from me and even if she could, the corporate mail server will not accept email with an attachment unless the recipient is far enough up the food chain to have executive privileges. She cannot change the claim in any fashion, but she can add additional annotations to it as clarifications.

I am being too harsh on the Claim Deniers here. Without exception they have been extraordinarily patient, knowledgeable, and truly anxious to help. Unfortunately they are limited by corporate policy to the extent that they are unable to accomplish very much in the client's favor while retaining almost unlimited power to aid the company.

tanstaafl.