In reply to:

My reception is ok to very good (3-5 bars all the time) but the sound is pretty cheap

I'll second that. It works, but I'm disappointed that it sounds like a £4.99 tranny radio. I have two main complaints:

1 - If I listen to radio (even at a full 5 bar reception strength) at a comfortable volume and then switch to MP3, I'm almost deafened - there's such a mismatch in levels.

2 - I thought that one of the ideas of RDS was that the radio stayed tuned to the strongest signal. I took a trip up to Leeds at the weekend:
a) Drive up, listened to Radio 4 all the way. Had to re-tune to a stronger signal twice as signal quality had degraded so far I couldn't make out what was being said. On both occasions, I retuned to a full five-bar signal.
b) Drive down, listened to Radio 2 for a bit, then switched to MP3. After an hour or so I switched back to the radio, but all I got was static. Selecting any of the presets (all national stations) which I would have expected to have found the station (the other car radios I have had all do this) just took me to the stored frequency and gave me no signal. I had to search for the correct frequency.

Nicholas.
(copied to [email protected])

--
18GB red s/n 080000299, original pos'n 8724. Reproduction of this post is not permitted.