I know this is Windows Admin 101 stuff that I should already know. But it's something I've never had to do before and I'm not sure how to get it done.

I have a new Windows NT 4.0 Server (this is the new one we just got with the RAID array and all). When I booted it up, it installed a fresh copy of the NT4 operating system. Sweet, saved me the trouble.

Even better, it installed a few useful utilities like the RAID array management software. Cool, OK. I check to see all the stuff it installed, and there wasn't a lot of bloat. In fact, it's a pretty clean system. Hmm, I might not have to bare-metal-format this thing and start over after all.

But the fresh-boot-installation did not offer me the option of making this thing a BDC (backup domain controller) which is necessary for its intended purpose (which is to eventually be promoted to PDC). It's a plain-vanilla NT4 server.

How the heck to I change this thing to a backup domain controller from a regular server? I know I could bare-metal the thing and start over, but I'd like to avoid that now if I can.