OK ... the very alpha version of JEmplode's cloning support is done -- grab it at http://www.batmanthehorse.com/jemplode/jemplode20.jar. You can replace the jar in your JEmplode dir with this (or actually just run it java -jar jemplode20.jar).

To clone playlists / files, select an Empeg from the connection dialog. After it loads, select "Open Clone..." from the File menu. A second Emplode window will open (currently directly on top of the previous window -- hiding the first). Select the second Empeg in the new connection dialog. These two Emplode windows (perhaps these should be MDI interface?) share a common clipboard, so you can Ctrl-C from one Empeg and Ctrl-V to the other. An additional tag is added to all tunes / playlists that come across this way that is a global FID that is used to do reference counting across cloned Empegs. This allows you to copy a playlist from another Empeg that references tunes that you had previously copied (so it will incrememnt refcount properly across clone sessions).

Keep in mind that this is hot-of-the-presses, so there are no guarantees. But it seems to work for me on my new Empeg.

Incidentally, if you get a new Empeg, you won't be able to use JEmplode's Upgrade tool on it right out of the box -- Serial discovery isn't working on Empeg v1.0's with JEmplode2... I'm looking into this (probably will implement something along the lines of the "real" upgrade tool that has makes you select the serial port rather than do discovery).

Good luck and godspeed.

Mike