Some people have expressed concern over what they thought were shortcomings of the player's ability to reference meta data from your music. However, the current data set is limited justly, to allow for robust (and fast) database access/manipulation.

Tony (FAQ-Boy) Fabris recently mentioned that ID3-browsing would be a great candidate for a userland application. I agree. I just don't have the ability to handle a project like this.

So, this post should serve to throw the idea out tehre for anyone who feels they can (and would want) to tackle this project.

The userland application would, when installed, ideally be launched from an assigned Hijack button function (app launching from a popup would be cool). It would take over the display and allow the browsing of some extended ID3 Data. The fields to be supported could (should) be discussed in this thread. A configuration method to allow for custom-selecting which tags to show would be a very cool feature in my opinion. The browsing display should allow vertical scrolling to show all the data. It might just put one tag under another, or allow "paging" to show long tags.

I'm next to positive Tony (yNot of Trivia fame) is already working on a lyrics browser/scroller, so hopefully he will chime in here with some ideas. I really hope someone else decides to take this on though - I'd really like to see Tony's alarm clock soon, so it's best not to bog him down.

Bruno