There was one more annoying problem that I'm going to tell you about, since everyone was obviously so fascinated.

RedMon is running as a service, I guess, which means that it was running as user SYSTEM (or whatever it is), which means that gsprint.exe was, as well. And, in a remarkably annoying piece of Windows implementation specifics, printers are defined in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and Windows doesn't put the printer definitions in the .DEFAULT user's registry, so the printer I was printing to wouldn't be seen when using SYSTEM as the user.

I initially solved this problem (as I wasn't aware of the specifics I listed above at the time) by selecting RedMon's ``Run As User'' option, which made it run the service as the user I was connecting as, which did have the pertinent printers defined. But, for some reason, when that user was not logged in at the console, it accepted the print job, but dropped it on the floor. So I was forced to revert to not ``Run As User''.

Turns out that I had to manually copy registry keys from my user's registry to .DEFAULT's registry, specifying those printers. Something like .../Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current Version/Devices/*. (BTW, I love that Windows 2000 still lists itself in the registry as Windows NT.)

And then I had to set up my MacOS X machine to print to that OpenBSD machine's LPR service to get it to print, since MacOSX doesn't understand SMB printers, even though it understands SMB fileshares. (That means that printing there looks like Application->local print server->Unix LPR->Windows SMB->ghostscript->Windows local print sever->printer.) And I haven't solved the MacOS printing at all (other than I have a demo copy of DAVE that's good for another week or so).

Maybe this all should have gone under the ``Things I Hate'' thread.