The shock mounts aren't designed to work at that angle, so the disk wouldn't get much (if any) protection against vibration and shocks. I don't have any empirical data on this, but I consider it likely that the disk life would be considerably reduced.

In addition, the drives themselves are not rated to be mounted at such an angle.

Your warranty is invalidated if the player is installed or operated outside of our published tolerances. We take a sensible approach to the warranty, so if something entirely unrelated to the mounting angle were to fail then that wouldn't be a problem. If the disk failed, and it was apparant that the unit had been mounted near to vertical (this would be quite obvious due to the nature of the rubber mounts) then we may well charge for the replacement.

There is also a slight chance that mounting the unit vertically could cause excessive wear on the mounts, and the metal disk tray could become detatched within the unit. This could cause all kinds of unfortunate results.

Of course you may never experience a problem, but I thought it fair to point out the possible pitfalls.

Regards

Rob