Okay, I'll check that out.

In my case, this particlar unit has never even been opened up (it was a warranty replacement for my original player). The warranty seal is even still intact, but I guess I'll break it and check these fuses since my player is out of warranty anyway.

And as you mentioned, it did seem to be related to starting the car. One thing of note is that I have a 91 Honda and the switched power line for the radio behaves a little differently than some cars I have owned in the past:

12V present: Acc position, Ignition position
No voltage present: Ignition off, and during starting

So when you start the start the car, you have at two choices:

1. Turn the key to ACC or IGN, and let the player boot, and then start the car once it has quit accessing the hard drive, etc. On starting, the player is briefly killed, and it comes right back after the car starts without rebooting but does briefly display the low battery warning.

2. Turn the key directly from off to start.... the player doesn't start booting until after the engine is running, although in theory it received a very quick pulse as the key passed through the ACC and IGN positions to reach the Start position.

In the case when mine died, I had done sequence 2. But I usually do sequence 1 if I am not in a hurry. I don't like doing either though.... but I have come to accept it. Maybe this has something to with the problem? On the other hand, I am sure many people have these in cars whose switched 12V radio power lines that behave in the same way... and only 2 cases of this problem so far...

If did turn out to be a suspected problem, I could always fix this in a couple of ways (keep the ignition line high during starting). But then, I have to wonder if the battery voltage drop on the sense and main power inputs during starting wouldn't be at least an equal magnitude problem for the player anyway.....