Dragging up an old thread here, but it's recently become relevant to me.

Is it harmful to continue running the player with a blown display fuse?

According to my multimeter, my fuse is blown (same one as shown on mrmunsell's excellent page). (Long story - see below). But music still plays and everything mostly works, apart from the display going dim when the button LEDs are turned up, and the standby LED coming on with the display (I've configured Hijack to turn it off during standby).

Also, is there anyone nearby (Cambridge area) who can help replace the fuse? Michael Davey did a great job on my power socket last year, but I haven't seen him post here in a long time...

Long story: to avoid damaging my player, I foolishly entrusted the button LED install to a local electronics service company. Turns out they plugged the display cable in off-by-one - and also the drive cable! Testament to the player's robustness that there's no apparent damage apart from the fuse! Still, it took them three weeks to decide they wouldn't fix it and instead return it to me - with the headers still misaligned as evidence of their incompetence! Neat soldering job, though.