Would you be willing to buy a unit with only an RCA phono coaxial output? The board can most likely be fit in the back, but the connectors are a REAL problem. I have a few toslink modules around and they are just too big to fit inside the Empeg/Rio without intruding on the drive bay. If I make the board with only an RCA jack on the back of the Empeg, it will most likely fit.

The only dongle solution I can think of is to make a small buffer circuit for the IIS signals, terminate that with a 5-pin mini-DIN in Audio Alchemy format, and then run a cable from the 5-pin mini-DIN connector to an external box containing the S/PDIF circuitry. For me, I would not want a unit that was outside the Empeg anyway. Its got to be one design only. In these small quantities, it just isn't practical to have multiple models. Each variant added would substanially increase costs.

So what does everybody want? An external unit as described above, with both coaxial and optical outs, an internal model with only coaxial output that does not intrude on the bay, or an internal model that has coaxial and optical output that does take up the bay? The external unit would have the advantage of I2S output.

Stu