This morning I fell victem to one of those lame browser attacks where every window continuously opens windows which continue to respawn themselves. Under Windows XP I would have normally dealt with such a problem by right clicking on the (now grouped) Internet Explorer windows and clicking "close group", or if that didn't work going to task manager and ending the iexplore process.

Unfortunantly, I not as experienced with these in Linux. I normally use RedHat 7.2 with KDE. The first thing I tried was madly closing each one in the taskbar, but they were opening much too fast. In fact, it didn't even appear that they were closing. Then I tried opening my own Konqueror window and changing the settings to no Javascript / deny pop-ups. But that didn't work!

I think it might have been some browser hole / flaw or some other scripting attack. Regardless of what it was, the next thing I tried was logging out and unchecking "save the current session", but for some unknown reason it kept reloading the session with 20+ konqueror windows! I tried this multiple times. I did some web searches under a different user account on manually diasbling session management, but nothing really worked.

Finally, 30 minutes later, the way I finally dealt with the problem was by immediately opening a command line, typing "ps ux", and killing processes like a 12 year old playing Street Fighter II.

So how would the experienced Linux user have handled the situation?

John