Well, I guess this is where different people want different things... If I got it down to my hard drives being the noisiest thing, I'd call it a success! Although perhaps there are other differences...

I'm running off Western Digital's, 120 Gig witht he 8MB cache on them. I think there's something about a fluid bearing in them...? Perhaps a different hard drive would be quieter, but - a lot more money, for what really? Also, my Antec 840 case is really heavy! It *feels* like about 40-50 pounds. It's heavier than my 19" Hitachi monitor is. It's possible that the hard drives are just no match for it, and end up relatively quiet.

Just an idea, not sure if this would work: For a lot of applications (ie browsing), I wonder if setting the hard drives on a very short power cycle (turn off after 3 minutes of non-use maybe?), combined with several sticks of 256MB RAM would help keep the drives from spinning?

Lastly, you might think of a creative way to leave the drives in their holder, and the holder pretty much where it is, but with some sort of dampening right around it - that is, a piece of rubber between pieces of metal. You'd have some tight fits in spots, and may have to create holes in it for your bolts to run through, but could be another idea?

One more thing - any specifics on your video card fan? Sound, temps, brand you used?