Just a general update, a few days ago the fire surged east, putting towns near Colorado Springs on standby, and raising fears it could do even more damage. A third team is now in place to protect Woodland Park and metro Colorado Springs from damage.

The bad news? The eastern surge was right in the direction of the cabin. I have not heard anything yet about it because it did stop short of the highway, but flying embers have been a problem for the residential subdivision nearby. If the fire races east again, it will most likely take the cabin, and hit the trigger point for evacuations of Monument and Palmer Lake, two towns just minutes north of where I live on I-25.

The good news is that it did stop, and yesterday was a calm day. They expected similar conditions to the two other fore growth days, and it didn't happen. Last I knew, they were going back over that area on the eastern edge and trying to widen the lines they made to try and contain it. So far, it looks like the last uncontrolled part is now the north western corner, where it runs the risk ot going into steep (up to 11,000 feet) terrain, and areas where no roads exist. This will make it troublesome to fight, but does mean there is little risk of more structures being lost.

Hopefully this huge mess will be over. But with huge fires all over the western US now, it looks like the only time the firefighters will see a day of rest is when summer is over.