Hi there.

Had my Empeg/Rio for a few months now - I had a sony 10 disc CD changer previously that got less and less reliable, so decided I needed a new one, but on a complete whim I thought I'd search the net first to see if there was anything more sophisticated available.

Came across a few MP3 players - including the Phatnoise - which kind of emulated CD changers. A bit more searching and I came across the Empeg/Rio. Read all about it - very impressive, but then read it was discontinued. Bit more searching and I find them for sale very cheaply in the US (can't remember the site, but rest assured there's none left now).

Got it imported to the UK with a set of filters for about £280 - less than I was planning to spend on a new CD changer!

Since then I've played around with it a lot - installed hijack, custom visuals, used it to host web pages, upgraded the kernel, installed a second drive etc. It's now got a 10Gb + 30Gb drive, which is nearly full after uploading my whole CD collection (about 600 CD's).

Which leads me (eventually) to my question... A lot of the CD's I've uploaded are compilations, so there's an enormous amount of overlap and duplicated tracks across the collection. For some reason emplode is very bad at reporting duplicate tracks whilst uploading so I now face the grim task of manually removing the duplicate tracks.

I'm not too fussed about getting the exact version of a given track on the Empeg - i.e. in most cases I don't mind if the track is a single version, album version, radio edit or whatever. I'd rather just have a single copy of each track and setup a playlist to recreate a given album.

So what I'm after is an easy way to sort through 5000 tracks and identify those that match by artist & title - I can then decide which version to keep & rig up playlists to 'patch' the missing track into the correct position on each album.

I've tried exporting the entire playlist in CSV format, then sorting by Artist and Title using Excel. This gives me a list where I can identify duplicates, but I still need to manually scan through the entire 5000 entries. And I don't want to repeat the exercise next time I upload a batch of new CD's.

I thought that this would be just the type of functionality that jEmplode would offer, but it seems pretty much like Emplode in this respect. I've searched the FAQ and Forum and can't find any other mention of people with the same problem though...

Surely there must be other people who have this problem with their Emplode? And surely there must be someone who can offer a quick solution?

I'm contemplating writing a simple program to open the CSV file, sort it into Artist & Title order, then display a list of all matches where the count > 1. But then again, if somebody else has done this, or if it would be better as a jEmplode feature then I won't bother.

Any ideas people have would be very much appreciated...

Cheers,

Andrew.