Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#10372 - 30/06/2000 07:18 software upgrades for mk1
DoM
new poster

Loc: Duesseldorf/Germany
I have been following this forum for quite a while now, but I still can not figure out some things. I have bought a mk1 recently via ebay (sorry, ccrobin, I didnīt know you were so unlucky before, I didnīt mean to snipe you). This empeg has version 0.85 (beta 10). Now, as far as I know there have been some upgrades since that version.

Do I have to get each software upgrade and install each of them in the correct order or may I just download the newest software and install that one?

When the mk2 comes out, will I be able to use the upcoming software upgrades on my mk1 (with the unique mk2 features not working) or will there be seperate upgrades available each time?

Thanks a lot for your help

Dominik
#44 mk1 6GB in Saab 9000 Aero

#10373 - 30/06/2000 07:45 Re: software upgrades for mk1 [Re: DoM]
Kureg

In reply to:

When the mk2 comes out, will I be able to use the upcoming software upgrades on my mk1 (with the unique mk2 features not working) or will there be seperate upgrades available each time?

The short answer is "the software works on both empegs". A somewhat more official answer is here (however, nothing on this BBS is REALLY official, but the statement is from one of the guys from empeg)...

Kureg

#10374 - 30/06/2000 08:01 Re: software upgrades for mk1 [Re: Kureg]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Actually, the software doesn't work on both; we do separate upgrade files for both units (though this is launched by one build script which builds both mk1 and mk2 player software from the same source tree). This is because the mk2 player is bigger and needs more RAM (which the mk2 has!), have a kernel configured for the mk2 hardware, etc.

Releases will always be simultaneous though.

Hugo

#10375 - 30/06/2000 08:06 Re: software upgrades for mk1 [Re: altman]
Kureg

Doh!

Well, I was close, wasn't I? I found the thread... I was proud of that.

Kureg

#10376 - 30/06/2000 09:15 Re: software upgrades for mk1 [Re: DoM]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Do I have to get each software upgrade and install each of them in the correct order or may I just download the newest software and install that one?

Most of the time, the upgrades are a full replacement of both the kernel and the player software, and should be able to be installed independently of any previous installs. This is defiintely the case for 11a, the current version that's on the website as of this writing, and that's the one you should get.

There are some exceptions to this rule. Sometimes they will release an interim upgrade which only touches the player software or the kernel. If this is the case, they'll tell you, and they will also tell you what the prerequisites are. I can only recall this happening once or twice, and I think those versions weren't even posted on the main empeg.com web site, they were just announced here on the BBS as an interim thing. (Actually, there's been another exception: Mike's build process got screwed up a bit on beta 11 and it accidentally upgraded only the player not the kernel. He fixed that in 11a and hopefully it won't happen again.)

Side note: Whenever you get new player software, always get the corresponding Emplode management software, too. Always install the new Emplode FIRST, then use the new EmpegUpgrade.exe you just installed to perform the upgrade of the player software.

And to stall off the next obvious question: No, the upgrades don't hurt the music or the playlists stored on the Empeg. Music is stored on a whole different partition and is independent of the kernel and player.

So, what do you think of your new MK1? Write us a review in the "Reviews" section of the BBS.

#10377 - 30/06/2000 09:18 Re: software upgrades for mk1 [Re: Kureg]
DoM
new poster

Well thanks for those quick answers to my second question.
to Kureg: your link was still helpful to me, since I was a bit concerned about future support on the mk1 with the upcoming mk2 hitting the market. I knew about that already, but still I was a bit nervous, if the folks at empeg would really support the mk1 (keeping in mind there are only about 400 out there).

Anybody with an answer to my first question?

Best Regards

Dominik
#44 MK1 6GB in Saab 9000 Aero

#10378 - 30/06/2000 09:31 Re: software upgrades for mk1 [Re: tfabris]
DoM
new poster

to tfabris: thanks for the quick answer to my first question. I will consider writing another review, although people might probably be more interested in seeing mk2 reviews right now. On the other hand, if I use a subject line saying something like "review of my new #44" , this should give me lots of hits.

Dominik
#44 MK1 6GB in Saab 9000 Aero