Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#10380 - 30/06/2000 11:14 Could LCD display be output to another display?
Jambo
stranger

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama USA
I had a thought of taking the Mk II. and putting it somewhere like inside the armrest or the glove compartment to keep it away from prying eyes when I'm out and about. However, I really want to keep the display in view. Here's what I was thinking:

Is there a way to 'Y' off the display so that I could run the display signal to another LCD panel that was permanently mounted in the dash somewhere? In addition, I'd take some kind of IR repeater and put it there as well so that I could use the remote for most functions without having to have the Empeg unit in view.

This is just a thought, but I'd really like to do this. I'm envisioning a double-DIN area with my regular head unit above and some kind of smoked, colored plexiglass area below that the external LCD panel and IR receiver would be behind.

Anyone want to throw some opinions/possible snags out to me?

Thanks!

Jambo
Something like #14000 (give or take a few)
Something like #14000 (give or take a few)

#10381 - 30/06/2000 11:42 Re: Could LCD display be output to another display? [Re: Jambo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This isn't a new idea. If you want to simply remove the display completely and remote mount it, it's not recommended. Hugo's last response on the subject is here.

I don't think you could "Y" it off to an LCD display without a significant amount of circuitry and work- you'd basically be duplicating the entire display circuit board but driving an LCD instead of a VFD. That's a lot of work.

A more logical option would be to use the unit's serial interface to send commands and retrieve track titles, but even that would be a great deal of work, and you'd be better off just buying an MP Shuttle which already does this. Before you do, though, talk to MComb on this BBS who already owns one- he had trouble fitting it with a large-capacity hard disk last I heard.