Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#105409 - 16/07/2002 16:11 Is the not-on-the-player soup necessary anymore?
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
I'm trying to decide what the right direction is to take soup playlists... I'm wondering if soup views should ALWAYS be on your player or if people see value in having soup views that are only in jEmplode/Emplode. It obviously makes the code easier if there's only one type of soup (one that creates empeg playlists vs. one that creates virtual playlists), but if people don't want that, then I will work on alternatives. Any opinions?

#105410 - 16/07/2002 16:28 Re: Is the not-on-the-player soup necessary anymore? [Re: mschrag]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Well, I'd like to be able turn them off from being displayed on the player. I really just don't use the genre tag, and rarely use the year tag, so I'd prefer to not have them to scroll through. All in all, it doesn't really matter to much to me though.

I've always sort of wondered how hard soup views would be, considering Jemplode generates playlists and jemplode generates soup views... It'll be great to have them working.

Matthew

#105411 - 16/07/2002 16:44 Re: Is the not-on-the-player soup necessary anymore? [Re: mschrag]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
I know they were ultimately to be on the player... but i'd prefer the option to have it's display on or off. Like if next to the playlist menu on the player was "soup" or something. I personally wouldn't use it often.... but i can see how it would be useful every once and a while.

#105412 - 16/07/2002 16:50 Re: Is the not-on-the-player soup necessary anymor [Re: matthew_k]
mschrag
pooh-bah

As far as the genre view, keep in mind that in the latest jEmplodes you can customize what soup views you have, so Genre is only there if you want it.... For instance, you could decide that you want a "By Genre/By Artist/By Year" soup view if you wanted. Basically you would just have a new "New Soup Playlist" option or something that would let you build these things and they would just start working just like a regular soup view except that it would be making regular playlists.

#105413 - 16/07/2002 17:56 Re: Is the not-on-the-player soup necessary anymor [Re: mschrag]
justinlarsen
old hand

Loc: Petaluma, CA
ya i liek loren's idea. have all the normal playlist, then make one like jemplode_soup or something that the end user can name, and it generates all of the soup views from there, so it dosnt tie in with the rest of the playlist.

#105414 - 17/07/2002 06:30 Re: Is the not-on-the-player soup necessary anymor [Re: mschrag]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
I don't think that the player view should be tied to the jEmplode view. I like to have the Genre view on my workstation, so I can find mistagged tunes, but I'd never want it in the car (where search by genre is as much as I'd ever need).

Perhaps the right thing to do is to be able to configure where the soup goes, and if no location is specified, then there is no soup on the player at all (i.e. default to current behaviour).

BTW Mike - I'm looking at the source distribution now, for the XML output mods, and I can't find a makefile or Ant build file. What's the correct build procedure?

#105415 - 17/07/2002 06:47 Re: Is the not-on-the-player soup necessary anymor [Re: tms13]
mschrag
pooh-bah

Someone a while back sent me an ant build script and I forgot to include it... Whoever that was, send it to me again and I'll include it.

I use Eclipse, so I don't really use a build script. But the procedure is basically "build everything". All but the source to tffid3.jar is included, but the classes are in jemplode.jar, so if you put that at the end of your classpath, it should build fine.