Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#106354 - 20/07/2002 17:52 linking tracks
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
I'm lazy, I don't want to join my wavs or mp3s. The Golden Slumbers medley was multiple tracks on the CD, that's how I store it. But when I hear the first part randomly, I want to hear the rest. Likewise, I don't want to hear it start in the middle. But, these should be 2 separate attributes (can stand alone, has linked children) because for instance, "Stay" by Jackson Browne is reasonable without "The Loadout" but "The Loadout" sounds silly without "Stay" right after it.

#106355 - 20/07/2002 22:36 Re: linking tracks [Re: Daria]
charcoalgray99
enthusiast

For a quick fix how about just TARing up the files? I've never tried it but if I remember correctly the player skips the tar info and just plays all the tracks as if it were one big mp3. You will have to rename the tar to mp3 for emplode to upload it.

Tom

#106356 - 21/07/2002 04:52 Re: linking tracks [Re: charcoalgray99]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

The only problem with tarring the files is that you would not be able to play them individually. The files would be merged completely, and that would change the playlist / tracklist for the album.

I had recommended chaining the mp3s with a field that would have "always play next" with a fid to the next track. Something very similar in nature.

#106357 - 21/07/2002 05:17 Re: linking tracks [Re: charcoalgray99]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, you don't even need to TAR the files. Just strip the tags off of them and do a "copy /b file + file + file newfile" to concatenate them into one big file.

But that's not what he's looking for. I know the feature he's asking for, and I think it would be neat, too.

Most of the time, I work around it just by turning off the Shuffle feature when a song-within-a-good-album comes along. Then it just finishes playing that album.

#106358 - 21/07/2002 10:25 Re: linking tracks [Re: tfabris]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Most of the time, I work around it just by turning off the Shuffle feature when a song-within-a-good-album comes along. Then it just finishes playing that album.

Which only helps if you got the first song

But that's not what he's looking for. I know the feature he's asking for, and I think it would be neat, too.

I've been thinking about this for quite some time. I have a relational database I use as part of the frontend to my home streamer that I'd been considering this "problem" in relation to for quite some time, and I never got around to doing anything about it.

#106359 - 22/07/2002 03:23 Re: linking tracks [Re: Daria]
Aragon

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
Wierd, I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I also think it'd be a really nice feature to be able to link tracks together.

#106360 - 22/07/2002 06:00 Re: linking tracks [Re: Aragon]
jets
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, Canada
yes, i was just thinking about this too! perfect example of this could be Led Zeppelin II when playing heartbreaker...any other song than living loving maid playing after it would just be weird.

#106361 - 23/07/2002 06:13 Re: linking tracks [Re: Daria]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I use my empeg a little differently than most, but under my scheme I have a solution. I have a playlist called "Jeff Radio" that is a list of songs seperated into seperat folders by artist. It pulls one song out of these folders at random so I get a good mix of songs by different artists.

The actual way I bind the songs is by putting them together in a sub playlist that only contains two songs. When ever this playlist is select at random both songs get played together. If I wanted the second song to play by itself sometimes I would put it alone next to the "bound" playlist and sometimes I would get both songs (in order) and sometimes just the second one by itself.

Of course this doesn't work when you use the player in shuffle mode, but it works the way I use the player so I thought you might like to know.

#106362 - 24/07/2002 14:46 Re: linking tracks [Re: jets]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Led Zeppelin II when playing heartbreaker...any other song than living loving maid playing after it would just be weird.

Agree. This is another one that bothers me regularly

And then...
In some cases I listened to complete albums so many times, I can hear the next song from the album start in my head. But that's not really the same problem.

#106363 - 23/12/2002 00:47 Re: linking tracks [Re: pgrzelak]
Daria
carpal tunnel

To revisit this: obviously we have no way to do it ourselves and I don't know that it's documented usefully anyhow, but albumwrap support in the player application would theoretically allow random selection of tracks from the wrapped mp3, but it could also be treated as a large mp3.

There's probably not really a win to doing it this way, though.