Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#106718 - 23/07/2002 08:09 Using codecs/plugins
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
I searched around for this topic and didn't find much on it, so here goes.

with xmms or winamp, it is possible to add codecs/plugins by dripping them into a "plugins directory". I would like to see this thing (as if it iwere so simple, right?) on the empeg so I could just get a ogg or a flac "codec/plugin" and play those files. This may be too much to ask, but - this is a wish list, right?
Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV

#106719 - 23/07/2002 08:35 Re: Using codecs/plugins [Re: bbowman]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
This may be too much to ask, but - this is a wish list, right?

Yes, it's too much to ask, and yes, it's on the wish list.

#106720 - 23/07/2002 16:54 Re: Using codecs/plugins [Re: tonyc]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
In fact we've already done a huge task which moves us in this direction. The audio subsystem on our trunk is now a totally rewritten modular implementation based on a very flexible filter network. That makes our codebase (almost) CODEC modular at compile time.

Run-time modularity for CODEC's (and filters/processors) is a progression from there, but less of a deal than it once was.

This has all been held back from the 2.0 branch in case it were to break horribly - although in practice there seem not to be too many bugs. The DJ prototype that we showed in Amersfoort is already running this code, as are many of the car players in use by staff.

Rob