Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#107226 - 24/07/2002 23:05 Advice needed for MGB install in Seattle
mail2mm
journeyman

Loc: Wyoming and New Zealand
My friend, Chris, has been restoring his grandfather's 1964 MGB. He has now reached the point that he is ready to install the Rio Car Mk2a, 60 GB, player which has been in its box for the past 8 months.

He plans to install it, replacing the original AM car radio, in the center console in front of the gear shift. Yes, the original 6 volt system is no more, replaced with a negative ground 12 volt electrical system. He has neither the time or electrical talents to install it himself. We need some help.

1. We would welcome suggestions of an individual or shop that would do a great job of installing the Rio Car in the MGB. Chris lives in Carnation, Washington (Seattle area).

2. Chris expects to install the Rio Car with two speakers possibly suplemented by a subwoofer. Suggestions on a suitable amplifier and speakers?

Thanks for your interest. I look forward to your suggestions.

Michael
2 - Rio Car Mk2a, 60 and 20 GB

#107227 - 25/07/2002 06:15 Re: Advice needed for MGB install in Seattle [Re: mail2mm]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
You should take a look at Sally's incredible MGB install at the riocar.org photo gallery.

Rob

#107228 - 25/07/2002 07:42 Re: Advice needed for MGB install in Seattle [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Doesn't Sally even have a separate web site with a complete account of the restoration and stereo installation process? Anyone have that address?

#107229 - 25/07/2002 13:23 Re: Advice needed for MGB install in Seattle [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Anyone have that address?

http://www.v8mgb.com/empeg.html

tanstaafl.

#107230 - 25/07/2002 13:33 Re: Advice needed for MGB install in Seattle [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Cool, thanks.

#107231 - 25/07/2002 16:54 Re: Advice needed for MGB install in Seattle [Re: mail2mm]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Yes, take a look at v8mgb.com, then once you have, you could either:

A) Take the MGB, that URL and a very thick check book over to these guys .

or

B) Just bring the MGB, the Empeg, and that checkbook to Ballard, drop it off with me (we can meet, say at the Tully's on Market -- that'd be me in the corner with the sunglasses and fake moustache), and I'll give you a call just as *soon* as I am done.

Seriously, I saw some of Innovative's work in progress and it looked marvelous, but $$$

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#107232 - 25/07/2002 19:48 Thanks [Re: mail2mm]
mail2mm
journeyman

Loc: Wyoming and New Zealand
Thanks everyone for pointing us to Sally's MGB installation. The great pictures are great, the installation impressive and her discussion of choices she made is very useful. Jim, Chris works in Kirkland, not far from Bellvue, so he will be going to Innovative Audio soon to discuss this with them.

After looking at Sally's installation I got the feeling that the cost of the MGB project just went up significantly!

Thanks again. I welcome anyone's further input.

Michael

#107233 - 20/08/2002 12:44 Re: Thanks [Re: mail2mm]
crewe

Loc: London, UK
Hi everyone!

Wow - I haven't checked in at the board for months and suddenly you're all talking about me!

Michael, you don't need to go as crazy as I did. It was the components I chose which cost the big bucks, but the actual installation was fairly cheap. My local audio place (granted, they are national award winning installers!) created the MDF false trunk floor and the back ledge sub woofer box for a couple hundred pounds, and that's where the real wow factor comes into my install, not so much the fact that I splashed out on a fancy amp.

Btw, I just took deliver of an '02 Miata (of course I'm keeping the MGB as well!!!) so I will be posting very soon as I start needing help with a brand new install.

Let me know if you want any help with anything Michael. I learned a *lot* during that install.