Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#108989 - 02/08/2002 10:03 Can Windows Terminal server do > 256 colours ?
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I use the Windows Terminal server client quite a bit to manage various remote machines. One thing that iritates me is that, in remote admin mode at least, it only supports 256 colours.

So, two questions:

- does it support more than 256 colours when in application server mode ?
- is there a way to convince it to do more than 256 colours in remote admin mode ?

#108990 - 02/08/2002 12:30 Re: Can Windows Terminal server do > 256 colours ? [Re: andy]
pim
addict

Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands
You should try the Windows XP Remote Desktop Client. It is the successor of Terminal Services Client and runs on all x86 Windows versions.

Download it here, or just load a Windows XP CD into the player of your non-XP Windows PC and follow the directions on your screen.

Pim

#108991 - 02/08/2002 12:32 Re: Can Windows Terminal server do > 256 colours ? [Re: pim]
andy
carpal tunnel

Already using it, it is a great improvement over the old client. However I still only get 256 colours when connecting to my Win2k Server box.

#108992 - 02/08/2002 12:34 Re: Can Windows Terminal server do > 256 colours ? [Re: pim]
pim
addict

Loc: The Hague, the Netherlands
Oops, never mind. I see the problem.

You can request a 24-bit color depth session on the client, but you'll still get 256 colors.

I do get >256 colors connecting to an XP host, though.

Pim

#108993 - 02/08/2002 12:40 Re: Can Windows Terminal server do > 256 colours ? [Re: pim]
andy
carpal tunnel

I do get >256 colors connecting to an XP host, though

Yes, in the searches I've done is does say that XP does >256, but I have yet to find anything that definitevly says that Win2k can't.

#108994 - 05/08/2002 11:33 Re: Can Windows Terminal server do > 256 colours ? [Re: andy]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
Terminal Server can do more than 256 colours, at least in terms of internal architecture - Citrix MetaFrame is based on TS and supports up to 24-bit colour.

I don't think that RDP supports more than 8-bit, though - you may need Citrix software to get more. Greater colour depth alone is unlikely to be a sufficient reason to invest in MetaFrame, though!

Disclaimer - I work for Citrix.

#108995 - 05/08/2002 12:50 Re: Can Windows Terminal server do > 256 colours ? [Re: tms13]
drakino
carpal tunnel

A Citrix guy eh? Hmm..

At work, we use a Citrix system to connect into a logging application.

To log in, we set up our Citrix client to connect to the server, and enter our NT domain authentication into Citrix. From there, the session opens, pulls up an NT Terminal server login, then our call logging program login. (I know, somewhat odd, I'm not sure why).

But anyhow, here is my problem. After a bit of use, cut and paste break between the Citrix session and my desktop, so I then have to independant clipboards. This becomes a problem when I need to transfer tons of info back and forth. Is there a way to relink the clipboards without having to shut down the session and re open it?

#108996 - 06/08/2002 03:31 Re: Can Windows Terminal server do > 256 colours ? [Re: drakino]
tms13
old hand

When I said that I work for Citrix, I obviously exaggerated a little. I mean, they pay me to be here, but "work" might be overstating it

In reply to:

After a bit of use, cut and paste break between the Citrix session and my desktop, so I then have [two] independent clipboards. This becomes a problem when I need to transfer tons of info back and forth. Is there a way to relink the clipboards without having to shut down the session and re open it?

When that happens to me, I just disconnect and reconnect. It doesn't happen often (usually my fault as a (Java) client developer), and the reconnect is quick, so I don't worry about it too much. You didn't say which client you are using, but I think the server side is more likely to fail anyway. The most annoying thing is to spend all day trying to work out why the clipboard channel isn't working, only to discover that the admin has disabled it. Particularly when you realise that the admin in question is yourself!

#108997 - 06/08/2002 07:49 Re: Can Windows Terminal server do > 256 colours ? [Re: tms13]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'm using the Windows XP client, 6.20.986. Server side, I'm not sure since I have no admin access on that side.

Unfortunatly here, when I disconnect the session, I am unable to just reconnect to what I was running. I have to go back through the NT login, then the application login to get back to where I am. And it's set up to only run the call logging application, I never get a server side task bar and such.

Know of any issues server side that would cause clipboard channel breakage? If there is a specific issue I can point the admins to, they might fix it. I know it happens to multiple people here, and gets annoyning when it does.

Unfortunatly our internal help staff on this are rarley interested in minor inconvience issues.

#108998 - 06/08/2002 08:21 Re: Can Windows Terminal server do > 256 colours ? [Re: drakino]
tms13
old hand

In reply to:

Unfortunatly here, when I disconnect the session, I am unable to just reconnect to what I was running. I have to go back through the NT login, then the application login to get back to where I am. And it's set up to only run the call logging application, I never get a server side task bar and such.

If you can't reconnect to a disconnected session, it's probably because your servers are configured to automatically log you out as soon as you disconnect. Bug your admins to configure the servers to keep disconnected sessions around for a while, even if it's only for a couple of minutes. This will enable you to reconnect for issues like this, or for a dodgy wireless LAN connection, but won't impact the servers resources very hard (as people won't have disconnected sessions hanging around for weeks like we do in our test lab). You'll obviously need to do the NT login again (unless you're using a newer, ticket-based authentication), but then it would reattach you to your disconnected session.

In reply to:

Know of any issues server side that would cause clipboard channel breakage? If there is a specific issue I can point the admins to, they might fix it. I know it happens to multiple people here, and gets annoyning when it does.

Unfortunately, I can't point you at any particularly server issues because I've never worked on the server code and I just stick to Java where I'm at home. But if it's an issue that affects you and you have a support contract, then make use of it. That would get someone much more knowledgeable than me looking at it.

Sorry if I sound a bit useless on this, but MetaFrame is a big product, and I don't claim to know more than a bit about it.