Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#109714 - 08/08/2002 01:43 Trouble switching to launcher
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
This may have been already covered, but I can't find the info I need anywhere. Apologies if I am just being blind.

I have my empeg set up with hijack 291 and preinit v4, with telnet, empacman and emptris all working beautifully - and am now looking to move to the launcher to make future game/utility installs easier.

No matter what startup files I try to use, or where I place the apps I can't get anything to run.

Does anyone have a 'launcher for dummies' checklist that I can run through, with location and order of necessary files and scripts and config.ini settings?
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#109715 - 08/08/2002 20:26 Re: Trouble switching to launcher [Re: frog51]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Does anyone

I guess that would mean me, eh?

have a 'launcher for dummies' checklist that I can run through, with location and order of necessary files and scripts and config.ini settings?

Aside from the README file? No.

Launcher is just another hijack app. It installs in the exact same way that all the other programs you've installed did.

The only significant difference is that you have to create a section in the config.ini file. See the README for an example of that. There's even a pretty ascii picture...

As for necessary files, they should be documented in the README, under the FILES section. If I missed anything, or could make it more clear, let me know. All you need is launcher, config.ini, and the preinit.d script to start launcher automatically. viewer if you want to use it. None of the rest of the files in the distribution need to be on your empeg. If you're using launcher, then you'll also probably want to remove the other preinit.d scripts (except for the ones that mount drives, and start launcher and maybe telnetd, of course).

Word of warning about the N02telnetd script -- it expects to find telnetd in the $PATH. If telnetd is launched with a fullpath, then my sed wizardry will break, and you won't be able to use the script to start/stop telnetd.

And finally, once you get launcher working, and you think it's not running an app, check to make sure the app you ran didn't just bind to the hijack menu. empacman does this, since it hasn't been modified to work with launcher.

Hope that helps.

#109716 - 09/08/2002 01:38 Re: Trouble switching to launcher [Re: canuckInOR]
frog51
pooh-bah

That explains some things - I think I was thrown off by olivers config.ini in the other thread. I couldn't figure that stuff out from the readme.

The other thing I was having trouble with was the preinit.d scripts. Am I right in assuming that if I run launcher I no longer need my M20empacman, M21emptris etc, but I keep my N01mount and N10telnetd scripts?
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#109717 - 09/08/2002 19:26 Re: Trouble switching to launcher [Re: frog51]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Am I right in assuming that if I run launcher I no longer need my M20empacman, M21emptris etc, but I keep my N01mount and N10telnetd scripts?

That's correct. If you want to start/stop telnetd from launcher, you'll need something similar to the provided N02telnetd script in the distribution, but it's not necessary to make it a preinit.d script. I just chose to make my preinit.d script do double duty so that I didn't have to have two scripts.

#109718 - 12/08/2002 00:24 Re: Trouble switching to launcher [Re: canuckInOR]
frog51
pooh-bah

Cheers canuckInLA,

Had a good mess around this weekend and got things working pretty well. I've spotted I can't get emptris and empacman to coexist well, but I gather that is a separate issue and nothing to do with launcher.

And I do like your telnetd script. Makes life a bit easier.

Thanks again -
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#109719 - 12/08/2002 00:47 Re: Trouble switching to launcher [Re: frog51]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Ah, excellent. The emptris/empacman problem is most likely the same problem that they have without launcher. I've given up on empacman until it's been compiled to have launcher support. Same with emptris. In the meantime, I have empsoko.

Cheers,