Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#11727 - 23/07/2000 22:29 Ambience Noise Sensitive Volume
JoMo25
stranger

Per an idea made by tfabris in the "Reviews" board: I think using the mic to sense "ambience noise levels" and having Empeg auto-adjust the volume would be awesome! It would be a similar effect to speed-sensitive volume, but quite probably much more effective. And it wouldn't need to be too sophisticated. For example, every 1-2 seconds, have the player 'poll' the mic for noise levels and then adjust volume difference accordingly to a preset default level.

#11728 - 24/07/2000 10:04 Re: Ambience Noise Sensitive Volume [Re: JoMo25]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
As my wife and I were driving along on our trip this week, I also thought of something additional regarding the ambient-noise-volume thing...

One thing I often do while driving is to turn down the volume while I'm having a conversation, then I turn it up again when the conversation fizzles out. If there were a way for the mic to "know the difference" between conversation and ambient noise, then it could reduce the volume when we're talking and increase it again when we stop talking.

Curiouser and curiouser...

#11729 - 24/07/2000 10:20 Re: Ambience Noise Sensitive Volume [Re: tfabris]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
You could do a FFT on the mic signal and noise shoud be close to constant amplitude across the spectrum. And speech would have content centered around five to eight kHz if I remember correctly depending on the gender of the speaker.

-Finally received my Mark2 no thanks to customs.

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#11730 - 24/07/2000 13:19 Re: Ambience Noise Sensitive Volume [Re: bmihulka]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
This has the side effect that, if you don't want anyone to hear what you're saying, you can just speak in a very high pitched voice ;)

Hugo