Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#123469 - 28/10/2002 20:50 Range Rover Install
az_max
new poster

Hi,
I'm looking to put my second sled into my newly acquired 1994 Range Rover Classic. The factory radio is at a very wierd angle, maybe 30 degrees from straight up and down. Will the Empeg player be ok at this angle?

#123470 - 28/10/2002 23:01 Re: Range Rover Install [Re: az_max]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
http://www.riocar.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=3&faqent=14#14

I wouldn't worry too much if the hdd dies early they are cheap and easy to replace.

Matt

#123471 - 29/10/2002 09:06 Re: Range Rover Install [Re: msaeger]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I used mine very successfully in a Range Rover, by leaving the radio in place and installing the Empeg instead in the central dashboard airvents, which, if you have AirCon, don't bring much to the party.

A relay on the "amp out" of the Empeg switched over the amp input between the original(Clarion) head unit and the Empeg. Another switched the head unit off when you switched the Empeg on.

The advantages being, that my wife could use the car when I am using the Empeg in my car (She only listens to radio 2!) and you don't need the, currently very rare, tuner module.

I would beware of the Range Rover mounting slot, not just because of the angle (even Clarion recommend 4 degrees for best operation), but it gets really hot, even when you're not using the heater. The truth is, that slot dates from when cars only had a radio, before the cassette became common, at which time it wasn't so critical.

In short, it's a no, no for the welfare of our most precious possession.

#123472 - 30/10/2002 04:40 Re: Range Rover Install [Re: boxer]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I've been having a tootle round the car park on your behalf, and I see some late model Range Rovers, before the new shape, had the radio slot moved up and level between the two air vents( presumably addressing the problems of angle and heat).

Just a thought that if you have a good non dealership Land Rover centre (We have a great one here in Leeds), they might be able to get you the parts to adapt your own fascia. I admit my version was a bit unsightly, made of ply and covered in vinyl).
Another thought struck me, my last Range Rover before the new shape was a Vogue and had separate amplifiers, I'm not sure whether the Classic had the same kit, but all my previous RR's used the amp in the head unit.

The circuit I used to run the two head units was very simple, if you could use it, send me a personal message with a fax number and I'll draw it, I'm not up with all this technology!

#123473 - 06/11/2002 21:22 Re: Range Rover Install [Re: boxer]
az_max
new poster

I took a trip to my local Landy dealer. I made the mistake of parking out front and walking through the showroom. I darn near had sticker shock looking at the '03s.
anyway, the parts guy was kind enough to help me look through the microfiche. The 1995 and later dash has the radio in a more normal position, but is a completely different dash and console. I've decided to use the Empeg as a second radio in the Rover and mount it in dash by the passenger's knees. Thanks for your help!