Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#127174 - 20/11/2002 07:50 RDS
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
I couldn't help wondering: Whither the RDS update, as I spent 3 hours travelling six miles of the M60 last night, but then I still had approx. 297hours of varied music, radio programmes and spoken word to go at, when the traffic got moving again!

#127175 - 20/11/2002 17:17 Re: RDS [Re: boxer]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Hmm, I forgot we hadn't released that yet. I should force myself to only load released builds onto my player!

I ran into a big problem with AF next to an airport (caused, I think, by the airport radar saturating the band and fooling the signal strength calculation). We need to fix that (by checking if a strong band is really the station we think it should be) and then it should be good to go.

It happens I'll be at the airport again tomorrow so I'll try to verify the problem.

Rob

#127176 - 21/11/2002 03:26 Re: RDS [Re: rob]
boxer
pooh-bah

As you may remember, I own a motorhome, as a consequence of which I belong to the Caravan Club(that's just to make clear to you that I'm not a caravan you've been cursing, because you can't overtake!).

In the latest issue their is an article on how a caravanner bought down the entire air traffic control at Gatwick, by leaving his TV booster on whilst his caravan was in storage near the airport. The US tracker base at Memwith Hill just to the north of me, interferes consistently with MW, and with FM, when you're up close. When I was a kid, the radar at Biggin Hill interfered with Radio Luxembourg each time it turned round.

So I can understand how with the sort of power an airport is using, to interfere with an Empeg is quite likely - .
All of which is to say that you may have a problem without a 100% solution.

If you want to let me have the upgrade, I'll go and sit outside Memwith Hill and test it out. They're so twitchy, it's probably a good way to get a holiday on the wrong side of Cuba!

#127177 - 23/11/2002 13:35 Re: RDS [Re: boxer]
tman
carpal tunnel

Wonder how a TV amp took out air traffic control. The amount of power put out by the radar itself would swamp whatever you could do.

- Trevor

#127178 - 25/11/2002 02:45 Re: RDS [Re: tman]
boxer
pooh-bah

I admit that it surprised me, unfortunately I'd binned the magazine by the time the subject came up, and they don't have that sort of detail on the CC website.

#127179 - 25/11/2002 19:42 Re: RDS [Re: boxer]
rjlov

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I don't know anything about it, but it doesn't seem inconceivable to me. The amount of power received by a radar is presumably a lot less than that transmitted, so they can't be that hard to confuse, given that you're close to the receiver.

Richard.