Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#128684 - 01/12/2002 09:24 Empeg acting funky
oliver
addict

Hey Guys,
I've noticed my empeg acting a bit weird when coming out of standby every time. Each time i either hold down the top button, or turn my car off, when i hit a button on the deck to resume playback, or start my car back up. The empeg will continue the last played song, in the right spot, but the song will be paused, hitting play will make the deck look like its playing, but yet no sound. The amps never get turned back on. I have to turn the deck off, and back on. Just a quick trip into standby will fix this, i don't have to remove the deck from the cage. But this happens 100% of the time, i think

Any Ideas?

Edit: Oh yeah, mk2a, beta 13 dev, hijack 300

#128685 - 01/12/2002 15:34 Re: Empeg acting funky [Re: oliver]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Can you verify that the amp is not being turned on, or if the player is somehow falling into mute or hush mode. The amp line should go live with the player out of standby, even if it is paused.

#128686 - 01/12/2002 21:18 Re: Empeg acting funky [Re: oliver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Check to see if the amps really are turned off.

If the amps are actually still on, but the player seems to be muted when it's paused, I know what this is. This is a known bug that was on the internal bug list, but they couldn't reproduce it and marked it as "works for me". It is bug number 1785 on the internal bug list.

What's happening is this: Normal expected behavior is that the DSP is supposed to get muted whenever the player software pauses playback of the MP3 file. There is something happening in the power-on-ignition sequence of events, in certain rare cases with certain cars, is confusing the software and causing the DSP to become "opposite toggled", muting when it's not supposed to be muted.

It was happening to me as well, but I haven't been able to reproduce it recently, so I can't offer much more help in diagnosing it.

One symptom of this is that when you pause and unpause a song, you will get a brief split-second "burst" of the sound of the song before it goes silent again.

One work around is to press the Pause button a bunch of times really fast and eventually it will opposite-toggle again and go back to where it was supposed to. If you are experiencing this, see if that fixes it then you'll know it's the same bug. If not, then it's something else and we should keep looking for causes.

#128687 - 01/12/2002 23:35 Re: Empeg acting funky [Re: tfabris]
oliver
addict

Thanks guys, I will check all this info out tomorrow. I'm not sure if the amps are actually on, but I will find out.

I know that hitting pause, then play, then pausing, and then playing again doesn't solve the problem. But I’m not rapidly hitting the pause button. I've found that a standby/resume always fixes it on the first shot.

This has been occurring for about a month now.

I just put a new system in my car tonight, just haven't finished hooking everything back up, so I’ll report back tomorrow.

#128688 - 02/12/2002 18:12 Re: Empeg acting funky [Re: tfabris]
papinist

Loc: Italy
Tony I have the same problem, with the same symptoms and the same 'remedy' even if it's very rare.

#128689 - 06/12/2002 15:31 Re: Empeg acting funky [Re: tfabris]
oliver
addict

Yup, the amps are on, the player is playing, but no sound is outputted. This only seems to happen after i turn off my car, and come back and start it before my 5 min shutdown timer kicks in. If i put the empeg into standby, and then resume it works 99% of the time i think. This has been the case for at least the last 2 months. Should i hook up a voltage meter to my ignition wire? See if there is a negative spike or anything?

#128690 - 06/12/2002 16:15 Re: Empeg acting funky [Re: oliver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yup Oliver, your description of the symptoms makes it sound like the DSP-mute-getting-opposite-toggled bug I described earlier in the thread.

It's definitely a software bug, it's just we need to find a way for the kind folks in Cambridge to reliably reproduce the bug so they can begin to work on a fix.

#128691 - 06/12/2002 16:18 Re: Empeg acting funky [Re: oliver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

And by the way, it has nothing to do with a negative spike, I made sure my player was diode-ed and it still did it.

My solution is to turn my standby timeout way down to something really short, like 2-5 seconds then that way the player always fully reboots when I start the car.

#128692 - 20/12/2002 10:27 Re: Empeg acting funky [Re: tfabris]
oliver
addict

Ok, some other funkyness to add to the topic.

I have hijacked my led for few months now, and i noticed when i got into my car last night, after a few couple minute car trips, i noticed that the led was blinking more link the normal blink, but it was off for less time, the pulses of light from the led were quicker that the stock blinking.
When i hit a button get the empeg out of standby? Nothing happened, had to remove it from cage, to get it to load up.