Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#12915 - 04/08/2000 15:21 empeg search
Liufeng

Loc: Alaska
The empeg search screens should be configurable. Or at least organize them this way: start with "search by title"... put that pin number and year stuff at the end. Also when searching by artist it displays the number of tunes in the upper left hand corner. But that is a bit redundant since next to each artist is the number of songs by that artist in parentheses. Couldn't it display the total number of artists in the empeg instead? That goes for source search as well. Also If I screwed up the id3 tags and capitalized an artist different from one album to the next then that artist shows up in all the variations even if its spelled exactly the same just a capitalization error. This is strange because then I have to select that artist twice, or more, to put all their songs in the mix.

Anyway if you don't want to change it I'm sure its only a matter of time till someone makes an alternate shell to the empeg.

Reg_2845 Mark 1 #00173, Mark 2 on order.
Reg #2845: Mark 1 #00173, Mark 2 #119, Mark 2a

#12916 - 04/08/2000 16:15 Re: empeg search [Re: Liufeng]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
> Anyway if you don't want to change it I'm sure its only a matter of time till
> someone makes an alternate shell to the empeg.

The entire player application would have to be replaced, something in the order of eight man years of work (and we're not slow). It sounds easy, but a number of other companies have found to their cost that there's more to it than first meets the eye. There's also the MP3/WMA/Whatever royalty to be considered.

Toby (author of the visualisations) is moving to Cambridge to work full time for us soon. I believe he'll be putting in some work on the UI, and I know that Roger and others in the team already have some great new features in the wings. I don't think you'll want to replace it for long.

Rob

#12917 - 04/08/2000 18:31 Re: empeg search [Re: rob]
Geoff
enthusiast

Loc: Northern Ireland
In reply to:

Toby (author of the visualisations) is moving to Cambridge to work full time for us soon. I believe he'll be putting in some work on the UI, and I know that Roger and others in the team already have some great new features in the wings. I don't think you'll want to replace it for long.

You keep doing this to us Rob... now I can't wait to see what Toby does with the UI and what new features are in the wings... You should be in advertising oops, I guess you are

Geoff
---- -------
Got one of the first Mark 2 empegs...

Mk2 Red - was 12GB, now 60GB

#12918 - 05/08/2000 00:02 Re: empeg search [Re: Liufeng]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
.. put that pin number and year stuff at the end ...

Yep. Still the same

Henno
mk2 nr 6

#12919 - 06/08/2000 04:50 Re: empeg search [Re: Liufeng]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Also If I screwed up the id3 tags and capitalized an artist different from one album to the next then that artist shows up in all the variations even if its spelled exactly the same just a capitalization error.

I agree. the search function should smash case.
I have different ways of spelling the artist's name
Bexta
beXta
Both come up with different tracks and it is currently very tedious to change all the tracks with it (there are the same of each)

it doesn't help if you have
Run DMC
Run DMC vs Jason Nevins

Murray 06000047

#12920 - 06/08/2000 10:35 Tagging in Empeg Search? [Re: muzza]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

Run DMC
Run DMC vs Jason Nevins

...How about a way to flag search results for playback.. you could, say, press another key next to the artists you want, then press a final key that would start playing that artist.. (or just press the final key to start playing that search result without having to tag..)

It could work like this:

[ ]Sash
[x]Sasha
[x]Sasha & John Digiweed

then press the finalize key, which would play sasha's tracks, as well as the sasha&john d's tracks...

BUT, if you just want to play one artist, you would press the finalize key (sorry - no empeg, can't remember the current key used, dnpp?) and it would act as it does now...

Comments?

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#12921 - 06/08/2000 16:36 Re: Tagging in Empeg Search? [Re: dionysus]
rjlov

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, I was thinking of something like that. My idea was that you would do the search as it is now, but instead of having one button to select, and one button to toggle play/append, you could just have four buttons, corresponding to functions "play right now", "append", "insert after current track", and "remove from current playlist". You could move the cursor up and down, refine your search, and press any of those four buttons as many times as you liked, and the search screen would stay there until you "*"ed it away.

Richard.

#12922 - 07/08/2000 05:04 Re: Tagging in Empeg Search? [Re: rjlov]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
This would work except there are only a limited number of buttons on the control. Most of them have a function already.

somewhere in the middle there is a solution.

Murray 06000047

#12923 - 07/08/2000 07:57 Re: Tagging in Empeg Search? [Re: muzza]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

This would work except there are only a limited number of buttons on the control. Most of them have a function already.

somewhere in the middle there is a solution.

..we still have 10 keys to play with.. (the numbers..) While I think the top number keys (1-6) should be used for macros, the bottom ones could be stolen for more functionalities..

-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#12924 - 07/08/2000 15:32 Re: Tagging in Empeg Search? [Re: dionysus]
rjlov

Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Yeah, I don't see any good reason why the source select buttons couldn't have this function while you're in the search mode. In fact, you could use the four buttons from the top on the right.

Richard.