Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#129189 - 04/12/2002 22:36 Bridgecom Inc?
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Okay, so I'm piecing together my old computer to give to my mom. I don't have any of its install disks. I don't know what kind of ethernet card is in there, so I run the "apciinfo" program I got from someone on this board a while ago. Every component of my system is recognized, but under what appears to be the ethernet card, the company name is listed as "Bridgecom Inc." and there is no device name, unlike all the other components.

Has anyone heard of this company? I've been looking around but haven't been able to find anything resembling drivers or anything resembling information on such a company. It doesn't matter, because even if I find a place to download drivers, how do I know what model my card is with no device information? Argh!

What should I do?

#129190 - 04/12/2002 22:41 Re: Bridgecom Inc? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What should I do?

Bin the thing and spend 15 bucks on a proper ethernet card from a company that's still in business and has driver updates.

Think about it:

- Your time futzing around trying to find drivers is worth more than $15.00.

- Knowing you've got driver updates available for peripherals is a good thing.

- She's your MOM, for goodness sake. Isn't she worth 15 bucks?

#129191 - 04/12/2002 22:45 Re: Bridgecom Inc? [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Haha, true. The thing is, this is only temporary. I just need internet access long enough to download drivers for the vid and sound cards, then when it's at home, we've got the wireless USB ethernet thing ready, and I'll probably take the thing out entirely (and do precisely as you say, toss it).

I just don't think I have any other good NICs around the house at the moment...

#129192 - 05/12/2002 11:55 Re: Bridgecom Inc? [Re: Dignan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Take a look at the chipset of the card. Chances are, it's just a repackaged realtek or something like that. write down all the writing on the chip and post it here and perhaps I can help ya out.

Or, as Tony said...pick up a new one...either way.