Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#129387 - 05/12/2002 23:46 samsung 955df
eliceo
enthusiast

anyone own one of these monitors? I have had mine for less than a year, its starting to act strangely. First the edges seemed to have distorted a bit. It also flashes for a a second or two, kinda like a degauss, but it does it every 30 to 45 minutes.

#129388 - 05/12/2002 23:50 Re: samsung 955df [Re: eliceo]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I have one of the first-gen revisions of this model (the one with the controls on a drawer mechanism). While I like the monitor, I find that running the refresh as high as 95Hz still makes my eyes bug-out. So, yes, this monitor is a little flakey.

#129389 - 05/12/2002 23:51 Re: samsung 955df [Re: eliceo]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
No monitor should do those things after less than a year, regardless of brand. I say, call Samsung ASAP before its 1-year warranty runs out.

#129390 - 06/12/2002 08:12 Re: samsung 955df [Re: eliceo]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
My 955DF has been wonderful for about a year now. No complaints whatsoever.

#129391 - 06/12/2002 08:34 Re: samsung 955df [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Don't know about that, I've had trouble with monitors when they were new! Although loads of people say iiyama is a good make, I'm not too sure.

First monitor had a few dud pixels and it was a CRT monitor, not a LCD! They refused to swap it out. They claimed it was a normal part of the manufacturing processing and it wasn't covered under the warranty. This was an extra hidden clause apparently as my copy of the warranty only specifically mentioned that LCDs weren't covered for defective pixels. After bugging them for a couple of weeks they relented and swapped it out. They wouldn't send me a new monitor however, it would be a refurb.

The refurb they gave me was really bad convergence and colour problems. It would also occasionally just die and not work until it had cooled down. So that got swapped out AGAIN.

The next refurb had serious problems with displaying anything in text mode. The "engineer" I got on the line kept insisting that I was doing it wrong and to reinstall Windows. I kept telling him I didn't even get the BIOS screen. Yet another week of hassling got this one changed. The courier was actually beginning to recognise me!

The next one had problems with the size of the image when it warmed up. The image would keep growing as each hour passed I left it on. By the end of the day it would have grown by about 5cm. Another few phone calls (I swear I talked to everybody in the UK office. They're only got about 3 people by the looks of things...) had them swap this one out again and I insisted they test it properly before sending me the replacement.

And finally I got a working monitor after 2 months of hassling after I ordered it...

- Trevor