Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#129708 - 09/12/2002 09:11 ...and now, introducing... ME!
JimmyD
new poster

Loc: Fox Lake, IL
Hiya folks....
I just wanted to introduce myself as I just signed up on this forum board. I signed up because I've been VERY interested in the Empeg product since it first came out in 99 and I've wanted one since I first saw it! However, I STILL DON'T OWN ONE! I can't wait to finally get one somehow... maybe I'll find an eBay auction that nobody stumbles across or something... heh! yeah right. Anyways, if you have a player to sell, please consider little ol' me here in the Chicago suburbs with a stock radio in my 2000 New Beetle.... sad isn't it? So sell me yer darn players! heh! Anyways, I look forward to learning all I can about these players so I can hopefully enjoy using one in my car someday!
Laters!
...JimmyD...

Edited by JimmyD (09/12/2002 09:15)

#129709 - 09/12/2002 16:45 Re: ...and now, introducing... ME! [Re: JimmyD]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
hiya

#129710 - 09/12/2002 17:58 Re: ...and now, introducing... ME! [Re: JimmyD]
jasonc

#129711 - 09/12/2002 18:04 Re: ...and now, introducing... ME! [Re: JimmyD]
elvis
enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
Looks like someone has realized the warranty is about up on these. There are SEVERAL 30GB empegs f/s on ebay right now. This would be a good time to try to get one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1944417945

#129712 - 09/12/2002 18:48 Re: ...and now, introducing... ME! [Re: elvis]
klaruz
journeyman

Loc: Omaha, NE
Iit's been pointed out that this could be a scam.... Not to judge the seller, but I'd talk with him first, and I'd be sure to use escrow.

#129713 - 09/12/2002 20:13 Re: ...and now, introducing... ME! [Re: klaruz]
JimmyD
new poster

Thanks for the welcome folks! heh! And oh yeah....

I'm watching the Empeg listings on eBay currently.... however, I'm VERY skeptical of the 13 listed as klaruz has pointed out... these listings seem rather suspicious.

On a better note, I've only been on this site for one day and I've already got a couple offers from people looking to sell their players to me!!!! I just may have a merry x-mas after all with an Empeg in my ride!!! WOOHOO!!!

#129714 - 09/12/2002 21:07 Re: ...and now, introducing... ME! [Re: klaruz]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, but that alert is completely without any basis as far as I'm concerned.

1) The seller is in Israel. Big deal - foreign transactions occur on ebay all the time. I've bought from Australia, UK and New Zealand all without fuss. Whether I'd be willing to buy something as expensive as an empeg from an overseas stranger on ebay is obviously a valid question in itself, because if the seller *was* a scammer then I'd have no comeback. But the fact that they are abroad doesn't automatically make them a scammer.

2) He has zero feedback and shades. So he is a new seller. Granted, ebay scammers have been known to create frequently create new accounts and sell multiple items very quickly to avoid negative feedback, but *everyone* has shades and zero feedback at the start of their ebay trading experiences, so that isn't any proof that he is a scammer either. In fact, scammers have also been known to pre-create ebay IDs and not use them until the shades have gone, and have even been known to build up a good reputation with small ticket items before scamming mutiple buyers with a bunch of large ticket items. So the shades and zero feedback don't prove anything there either. Again, whether I'd be willing to buy an empeg from a zero feedback shaded stranger on ebay is a good question in itself.

Before anyone get's the wrong end of the stick - I'm not sanctioning this seller as being legit. I don't know him from Jack, but I haven't seen anything that implies he's a scammer either.

#129715 - 09/12/2002 21:13 Re: ...and now, introducing... ME! [Re: genixia]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Oh, how rude of me...

Welcome to the BBS...once you get an empeg, be sure to search the Installation forums. If the 2000 NB is the same as the 2000 Golf (in stereo respects, obviously. ), you should find some useful information.

#129716 - 10/12/2002 05:25 Re: ...and now, introducing... ME! [Re: genixia]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
That sounds like a scam. You eloquently glossed over all the huge warning signs.
I guess you were joking

#129717 - 10/12/2002 23:47 Re: ...and now, introducing... ME! [Re: JeepBastard]
elvis
enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
"POOF" I can't believe it! Magic! All of the 30s are gone from ebay. Not a trace. Check my prev post for a direct link.

#129718 - 11/12/2002 04:47 Re: ...and now, introducing... ME! [Re: elvis]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
Good call. It was an obvious scam.

#129719 - 11/12/2002 08:27 Re: ...and now, introducing... ME! [Re: genixia]
JimmyD
new poster

{{{{{{{Genixia said: Oh, how rude of me... Welcome to the BBS...once you get an empeg, be sure to search the Installation forums. If the 2000 NB is the same as the 2000 Golf (in stereo respects, obviously. ), you should find some useful information. }}}}}}}

Thanks!
....and YUP! The 2000 NB does have the same exact characteristics of the 2000 Golf (in terms of MANY things!)

I know that I 'll have to defeat the "K-wire" on the stock harness of my stock stereo, not to big a deal for me to do. My car is pretty hacked up at the moment, so no worries, I'm not afraid of installing the Empeg really. Right now, my car interior is GUTTED because I'm getting a chromoly cage fitted and I'm custom dying every interior panel black. I have Sparco Torino race seats, custom polished aluminum seat brackets, Sparco Line pedals, Sparco 4 point harnesses, Sparco Lap3 steering wheel, Sparco R-speed shift knob, TONS of go-fast stuff (K04 turbo upgrade/adrenalin motorsports-TNT wet nitrous kit spraying a 50 shot, GIAC chip, etc..etc..etc..)... my buddy owns a VW performance shop and I've been into modifying Volkswagens for about 9 years now... my dad used to modify old air cooled bugs too! heh! I guess my point is.... install should be fun for me!!!! heh!

By the way, once I get my Empeg (which should be in the next month or so since I have a few leads now), I'll take pictures of my progress and post them! I'm doing a full custom A/V install with 7 inch LCD monitor hooked up to a laptop for my VAG-Com engine management and I'll also hook this into the whole A/V system, but instead of doing the typical Playstation/X-Box install for shows, I'm goin old school.... I'm installing an Atari 2600 in a recessed area with my amps complete with recessed slots for game cartridges.
I'll be sure to post pics.