Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13058 - 08/08/2000 06:17 Mk II and Ethernet
philb
stranger

Received my MkII Empeg this morning :-) I now have to wait 'til I get home to clone the MkI, and install it in my car...

In the mean time... I've installed the developer version 1.0 build, and installed the ARM Debian tar file. I can rlogin and ftp onto the empeg now!
What webserver/streaming software do people recommend running? I think Apache is probably overkill, and too memory hungry.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Security - When I'm at work, I want to plug the empeg into the LAN here (I have a machine with no USB support, and giving out shell accounts on my car stereo will impress the other geeks here). What I want to avoid is someone else on the network (accidentally or otherwise) using emplode to modify my playlists. How about some sort of authentication?

2. Quit player from GUI. At the moment I have to use a serial cable to quit the player and run chroot etc. to get my Debian environment running. Are there any plans to allow this to be done from the GUI on the developers version, e.g. another menu option.

I better do some real work now before I get sacked!

Philb

#13059 - 08/08/2000 11:19 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: philb]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
What I want to avoid is someone else on the network (accidentally or otherwise) using emplode to modify my playlists. How about some sort of authentication?

Wow. This is a very interesting dilemna! Great question, I hadn't thought of that.

#13060 - 08/08/2000 13:06 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: philb]
kim

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
2. Quit player from GUI. At the moment I have to use a serial cable to quit the player and run chroot etc. to get my Debian environment running. Are there any plans to allow this to be done from the GUI on the developers version, e.g. another menu option.

You can exit from the player to shell thru the menu if you add:

[Menu]
quit=1

lines to the /empeg/var/config.ini file. This will work only in the developer version.

Kim

#13061 - 08/08/2000 13:13 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: kim]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Where can I find the necessary debian packages, is there a specific one that someone's made for the Empeg, or should I just be looking at a generic debian/arm package?

Also, does the developer release have an ftp CLIENT built into it? (I need to ftp to my other server to re-download my empeg files backed up from the mk1..)

(I would check, but the serial cable sent w/ my empeg doesn't seem to work :-p )
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#13062 - 08/08/2000 13:45 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: dionysus]
philb
stranger

The Debian package that I used was from Verement's pages on the developer site.
There's lots of helpful tips on there.

The developer release doesn't have an ftp client, but there is one (and ftp server) in the Debian package.

In order to get files onto the empeg you can use ZModem transfers, e.g. from minicom/hyperterminal (just cd into the correct directory on the empeg, then start the zmodem transfer on the PC, and it happens automatically, bash must call sz or whatever for you).

The 9Mb Debian tgz took about 15 mins to download.

philb

#13063 - 08/08/2000 13:58 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: philb]
dionysus
veteran

...I can't seem to find any 9mb dist. on www.empeg.mars.org ; what's the exact (approximate?:) ) filename?

Thanks,
-mark

#13064 - 08/08/2000 14:08 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: dionysus]
Verement
journeyman

Loc: Boston, MA, US
There isn't a Debian ARM distribution on the developer site, only a link to one.

Once you install the Debian root filesystem tarball, it's a simple matter to run apt-get or dselect to install/upgrade the latest ARM packages. Jim Pick's README.Install (ignore the Netwinder-specific parts) and my journal may be helpful.

-v

#13065 - 08/08/2000 14:09 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: dionysus]
philb
stranger

#13066 - 08/08/2000 14:19 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: philb]
dionysus
veteran

Thanks - found it right after I sent that note:)
-mark

#13067 - 08/08/2000 14:20 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: philb]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
In order to get files onto the empeg you can use ZModem transfers, e.g. from minicom/hyperterminal (just cd into the correct directory on the empeg, then start the zmodem transfer on the PC, and it happens automatically, bash must call sz or whatever for you).

Actually, since emplode doesn't differentiate file type, I just uploaded the debian tarball using emplode as a song, then logged into my shell and copied the file from the fids directory to where I wanted it, then deleted the invalid "song" from the playlists. viola. Fast transfer. :)

I do have a question though,

I have done about everything, installed the debian image, I can login to the debian image and create accounts, etc, however if I try to run inetd, and then telnet or ftp to the box, it succeeds in the connection, but doesn't send any data back. If I do a ps auxw on the empeg, I can see the in.telnetd or in.ftpd connection, but it sends no data back to the client.

I *can* however ftp OUT from the empeg to my LAN.

Any suggestions? (Yes, I have set up /etc/hosts, and so on)

UPDATE: I *can* ftp from the empeg back TO the empeg. Just not from an outside source into the empeg. Any suggestions?

(O|||||O)

Edited by ClemsonJeep on 8/8/00 10:28 PM.

#13068 - 08/08/2000 14:24 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: ClemsonJeep]
philb
stranger

I'm not sure which or these did it as I carried out both at about the same time:
1. Edit hosts.deny and remove the PARANOID line.
2. Run hostname and give the empeg a name

Then restart (or kill -HUP ) inetd

Hope this helps.

Philb

#13069 - 08/08/2000 14:52 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: ClemsonJeep]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

UPDATE: I *can* ftp from the empeg back TO the empeg. Just not from an outside source into the empeg. Any suggestions?

This is a silly guess and I know nothing about Linux, but it wouldn't have anything to do with the drives mounting read-only by default?

#13070 - 08/08/2000 15:53 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: tfabris]
dionysus
veteran

...it's possible that it's trying to write to the log file, and failing.. Does empeg's distribution even TRY to log though?

That wouldn't explain why he can ftp locally...
-mark

#13071 - 08/08/2000 16:44 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: ClemsonJeep]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Sounds maybe like name resolving, which the telnet/ftp is doing for logging (etc). Is your /etc/nsswitch.conf ok, plus your /etc/hosts and/or /etc/resolv.conf ok?

Hugo

#13072 - 08/08/2000 18:54 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: philb]
KoS
stranger

Loc: Switzerland
i've installed the debian-dist and tried to start it.. but there's the first problem... i couldn't find out a useable login ? (root, but whats the pw ? haven't seen it in the readme :( )

thx

#13073 - 08/08/2000 19:08 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: KoS]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Have you tried "root" as the password, or tried leaving the password blank? Pretend you're Matthew Broderick in War Games and try different ones, understanding that the default password will be probably be simple and that they expect you to change it as one of the first steps.

For a while, at my job, new Lotus Notes users were assigned the default password of "Please change this password now". This was fun because if we gave them a simple password they'd never change it and it would be pitifully easy to get someone else's mail. But with that one, they eventually got tired of typing "Please change this password now" every time they logged in, so it forced them to change it.

Cute, huh?

#13074 - 08/08/2000 19:18 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: tfabris]
KoS
stranger

hehe... it's not so easy..

the one with 'root' and '' were also my first ideas :((

am i so stupid or is it only that i'm to tired ? ;-)

n8

#13075 - 08/08/2000 19:43 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: KoS]
dionysus
veteran

In reply to:

Poster: KoS
Subject: Re: Mk II and Ethernet

hehe... it's not so easy..

the one with 'root' and '' were also my first ideas :((

Leave out the bin/login part.... so...
cd /usr/local/root
usr/sbin/chroot .

The problem that I'm running into is that the debian dist. works fine, BUT I can't access /drive0 and /drive1.. I can't find the right parameters to remount these...
-mark

#13076 - 08/08/2000 20:24 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: Verement]
dionysus
veteran

(*sigh*) 3 hours later, and I'm no further ahead:(
-mark

#13077 - 09/08/2000 01:20 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: dionysus]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
mount -n -o ro /dev/hda4 /drive0
mount -n -o ro /dev/hdc4 /drive0

(ro for safety - obviouly omit the -o ro if you want to write to the disk)

Hugo

#13078 - 09/08/2000 06:24 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: altman]
dionysus
veteran

In reply to:

mount -n -o ro /dev/hda4 /drive0
mount -n -o ro /dev/hdc4 /drive0

(ro for safety - obviouly omit the -o ro if you want to write to the disk)

Tried that.. Problem is, I'm chroot'ing to /drive0/local/root , where the debian root is installed in, SO mounting drive0 (rightfully) gives a drive0 is busy error...

Hmm..Anyone care to do a HOWTO on installing more networking stuff on the empeg, or at least a step-by-step on how to install the debian root image? I you do, you'll probably end up in the faq:)

-mark

#13079 - 09/08/2000 07:37 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: dionysus]
philb
stranger

Couldn't you do a hard link back to /drive0 as you are on the same filesystem:

Before you chroot

ln /drive0 /drive0/local/root/drive0

chroot /drive0/local/root

I haven't tried this so it maybe complete BS.

Drive1 if you have one would have to be umounted, then remounted into your chrooted environment, I guess

Philb

#13080 - 09/08/2000 07:45 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: philb]
dionysus
veteran

Tried it -
"sh: cd: drive0: Too many levels of symbolic links"

-mark

#13081 - 09/08/2000 09:48 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: altman]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Yeah, it turns out that the problem was indeed the resolv.conf file. I figured this out yesterday when I realized I hadn't changed it. It was still set to some outside (our firewall) nameserver, so it couldn't reach it. So I assigned it to our internal nameserver and it works a-ok.

Now just to search the forums on how to recompile init so I can have it when I quit via the menu system, it automagically starts up sshd, inetd, and so on! And also figure out a way to jump back to the player if I want to!

Kim, any suggestions on this? Ever get your /sbin/init to work so you can launch your own programs? Care to post the code? Thanks!

(O|||||O)

#13082 - 09/08/2000 10:01 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: tfabris]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

This is a silly guess and I know nothing about Linux, but it wouldn't have anything to do with the drives mounting read-only by default?

Nah, I run the rwm and rw scripts before I do any of this, so the drives are mounted read-write. Turned out it was a NS problem.

(O|||||O)

#13083 - 09/08/2000 18:50 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: philb]
KoS
stranger

stupid question, but how have you installed the ftp-server, ssh and so on ? i have the problem that the dselect program isnt working... do you use apt-get or have i to compile the programs myself?

if i try 'apt-get update' i get only the following error
neighbour table overflow
what does that mean ?

#13084 - 09/08/2000 22:56 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: KoS]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
The apt-get program in the image file debian-image_990822.tar.gz does not work. It says that in the readme. You need to download the new apt deb file and install it with dpkg.
Try here apt_0.3.19.deb. Also if you want to use dselect you will have to add some swap space.

-Finally received my Mark2 no thanks to customs.

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#13085 - 10/08/2000 02:56 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: ClemsonJeep]
kim

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Kim, any suggestions on this? Ever get your /sbin/init to work so you can launch your own programs? Care to post the code? Thanks!

I have a menu driven boot loader but it would need some modifications to make it work on other environments as well. It assumes that the /dev/hda2 partition exists and can be mounted to specific location, etc.

But in your case, it would probably be easiest to just write a simple /sbin/init script replacement, like:

#!/bin/sh
PATH=./:/bin
PS1=empeg:\\w\\$
/bin/mount -n -o nocheck,rw /proc
/bin/mount -n -o nocheck,ro /dev/hda4 /drive0
/empeg/bin/player

And then you could add whatever network stuff you want before/after the empeg player software.

Kim

#13086 - 10/08/2000 05:02 Re: Mk II and Ethernet [Re: bmihulka]
KoS
stranger

hey thanks man !!
it worked fine..yeeah ;-)
i've install dhttpd and mc and some other stuff..hihi..

#13087 - 14/08/2000 14:45 Re: Mk II and Ethernet (HOWTO) [Re: KoS]
baumann
new poster

Hello
Would it be an idea to write a small howto for the not so familar people with debian packages...
I'm very interested HOW you did it exactly... the installation of the dhttpd ???
Thanks a lot for any hints
Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >