Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#133317 - 06/01/2003 08:26 Player stops playing, otherwise functional
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I don't think I've seen this one reported before.

A few days ago, I got in my car and started driving with the empeg playing. Before I got to the end of my street, so less than a couple of minutes after startup, the song playing suddenly stopped playing. No noise coming out of the speakers at all, as if I had accidentally pressed the pause button. (I hadn't.)

I looked down at the player and it didn't appear to be paused (no double bar icon), but the time display wasn't changing. I figured it had locked up, but just to test that, I pressed the pause button. When I did, it showed the pause icon. I pressed it again and it showed the play triangle icon for a normal-seeming amount of time and it then went away, still without any music or progression of the time display.

I held down the right button to try to fast-forward within the track. The time display changed, but there was still no sound during the fast-forward and when I let go, the time display still didn't move beyond where I had fast-forwarded to. So I pressed the right button to go to the next track, which it did, but it sat at 0:00. I played around some more, and everything seemed to work fine except for the fact that the player wouldn't make the speakers do anything and the time display never moved in a normal fashion on its own.

Removing and reinserting the player fixed the problem. The track I was playing was a CBR MP3 that I'd played 8 times before, according to the plays counter, including once just the day before, as I was listening to the same album twice, back-to-back. I also verified that it played fine after I got it back up.

I would think that this seemed like the pause bug, but I hadn't been, to paraphrase a Sun engineer, pounding on the pause button like a wild monkey, I didn't hear any quick blast of sound when I paused or unpaused, and the time display didn't progress in either the paused or unpaused state.

Anyone else seen this?

#133318 - 06/01/2003 23:11 Re: Player stops playing, otherwise functional [Re: wfaulk]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
I think I saw this same thing just last weekend. I had pressed buttons, like you, but then just power cycled and didn't think twice.

If I remember right though, for me it was while I was FF through a track. I let off the FF and I started seeing that behavior. I hit pause, tried FF again, and skipped tracks. But the power cycle did work.

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#133319 - 06/01/2003 23:14 Re: Player stops playing, otherwise functional [Re: wfaulk]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
I observed something like this one time, before I replaced the hard drive cable in a unit, and I attributed it to "unable to do i/o to the disk"; The cable died like the next day or so. Powercycle recovered it. As to whether there was any truth to this, I don't know, because I never saw it again and had no way to investigate it at the time.

#133320 - 07/01/2003 07:06 Re: Player stops playing, otherwise functional [Re: Daria]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Hmmm. That's possible, as I had an odd dropout the other day, too. My cable's worked fine for about two years now, so it probably isn't the cable itself, but maybe it's working loose.

#133321 - 07/01/2003 09:55 Re: Player stops playing, otherwise functional [Re: wfaulk]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

...not quite sure what you meant by the 'Pause Bug';

I have seen a mute/pause issue, where mute and pause get out of sync. - ie the player gets muted when playing, and unmuted when paused. Happens very rarely, and fixed (only) by reboot...it could probably be eliminated fairly easily by the empeg guys - currently the (stock) kernel only has a mute_set ioctl, and not a mute_read ioctl, so the player doesn't error-check the mute status when setting it.

Does this play into what you saw??

#133322 - 07/01/2003 10:37 Re: Player stops playing, otherwise functional [Re: genixia]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

That's the ``Pause Bug'' I was referring to, and that's not what I was seeing because, with my problem, the time display was stuck, which is not a thing that I would expect would happen with the Mute/Pause issue. Plus, I never got a short burst of sound, which seems to be a common symptom with that problem, and it just happened out of the blue during playback without me touching the controls at all.

#133323 - 07/01/2003 20:28 Re: Player stops playing, otherwise functional [Re: wfaulk]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Ok..

In that case I'd also suggest a loose drive cable as a probable culprit.