Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#133395 - 06/01/2003 17:56 (Negative) Spike Club?
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
Over the past 2 days my Mk2 hasn't gone into standby when I turn the ignition off and stop the engine. Each time this has occurred I have turned the ignition on and off a few times to see whether the player will go into standby, it doesn't. Prior to this it had behaved fine over the past 8 months or so.

This brings me to that old (almost a) cliche "Well, it was fine the last time I used it" which I hear others say every day, "well obviously or you wouldn't be here telling me I guess" as the story goes Seriously, apart from a GB of music uploaded, nothing (I can recall) has changed since it was ok 4 days ago.

My question is 'Do I qualify for Negative Spike club Membership'? The reason for asking is I haven't been able to find mention of this problem just occurring, AFAIK it's there from the start or it isn't. I'd just go ahead and fit the diode if it wasn't such a PITA getting my soldering station running in-car and getting the sled out of the dash so, if possible, I'd like to be more sure that it's worth the effort first.

Andrew

#133396 - 06/01/2003 18:19 Re: (Negative) Spike Club? [Re: AndrewT]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Check your fuse on the wire harness. I thought I had recently renewed my membership in the club (I used to be a member with my Rodeo). However, I traced the problem back to the point I put a faulty Mk2a in my car. I'm assuming that it blew my fuse on the memory line since I am quite sure my Saab does not produce a negative spike. I have just been too lazy to verify my theory.

#133397 - 06/01/2003 18:40 Re: (Negative) Spike Club? [Re: AndrewT]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
apart from a GB of music uploaded, nothing (I can recall) has changed since it was ok 4 days ago.

This has happened to others (including myself) as well. It always seems to occur following a synchronization.

Nobody has found an explanation of what is happening or why, but if you force a re-synch (just change one character in one tag in emplode) you will find that the problem goes away.

tanstaafl.

#133398 - 07/01/2003 14:31 Re: (Negative) Spike Club? [Re: tanstaafl.]
AndrewT
old hand

Loc: Oxford, UK
It's only had one power cycle since the resynch so I hope I'm not speaking too soon but that appears to have fixed it, thanks

Thanks too Rob for your suggestion about the fuse, I guess that check is not needed for now.