Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#137766 - 26/01/2003 23:09 Inspiration for a new visual.
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Here's an inspiration for a new visual:

theproduct.de/fr-019-final.zip

Frankly, this is the most amazing piece of code I have ever seen or will ever see. For anyone that knows the "demo scene" (of days gone by (early 90's) or recently), please tell me there is no better audio / visual experience than this. For those of you who don't know the "demo scene", watch this, then watch everything else so you can know and appreciate the masterwork that has been created here.

Prolux, any thoughts? Ok, so it only had a few real-time audio-effected visuals.

For more info and ALL the technical specs on this amazing bit of code and the predicessor which started it all out, check out the site at:
http://theproduct.de/

for a break into the "demo scene", check out:
http://www.scene.org
This is clearly why I smile every time I look at my empeg's visuals (and why I bought the empeg in the first place). Since I've been looking at demos for over 10 years now, the instant I laid eyes on the Prolux visuals in that 9 minute empeg MPG, I was sold. The wonders of Assembly language NEVER cease to amaze me.

#137767 - 27/01/2003 04:40 Re: Inspiration for a new visual. [Re: FireFox31]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Very pretty but it probably just calls the DirectX/OpenGL command PlotPsychadelicOrganicAnimatedStructure()

Rob

#137768 - 27/01/2003 06:15 Re: Inspiration for a new visual. [Re: FireFox31]
prolux

Loc: Manchester, UK
Hello Mr Fox,

Yes, it is a very pretty demo - couldn't get it to run on my machine, but saw it on a colleague's.

The issue with the car player is that there are only 4096 pixels, and four intensities of these pixels. The result is that simple looks best. For example, the lines of text swirling through the background of that demo are very pretty at high resolution and with lots of colour depth for blur, etc. But consider it on the car player screen. The text would have to be at least 7 pixels tall to be legible, more taking into account the distortion added by rotating to arbitrary angles, there would only be space for a line or two of it.

I'm not sure that any of the effects in the demo are real-time audio generated. There is certainly some synchronisation, but given that the music is always the same for each run of the demo, this could be achieved by timings, or more likely, as with the old demos that used soundtracker files, code can be added to send a signal when a particular instrument, or note is played.

The demo is very nice though - Perhaps one of our products with a nice colour screen would be an appropriate platform for experimenting with OPENGL.

Toby.

#137769 - 27/01/2003 06:53 Re: Inspiration for a new visual. [Re: FireFox31]
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
who cares about the visual... the background song is SO COOL. if someone can tell me the artist/title so i can tag whatever totalrecorder rips out.

#137770 - 27/01/2003 10:38 Re: Inspiration for a new visual. [Re: rob]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Very pretty but it probably just calls the DirectX/OpenGL command PlotPsychadelicOrganicAnimatedStructure()

*wipes tea off monitor*

#137771 - 27/01/2003 10:42 Re: Inspiration for a new visual. [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Dude, you gotta stop drinking tea whilst reading the empeg BBS. I don't think your monitor manufacturer is going to be sympathetic to your situation.

"But you don't understand! Rob is SOOOOOO funny!"

#137772 - 27/01/2003 14:07 Re: Inspiration for a new visual. [Re: tonyc]
rowitech
enthusiast

Loc: Germany, Cologne
Hey guys,

I've read some postings because I won't open downloaded *.exe. But after reading some postings, I voted for "clean" and started this thing right out of the web. As something started to make some noises on the harddisk I started to fear.
Much fear.
So please tell me this is only a joke, isn't it?

regards,
Rolf

(still cooling down, but takes some minutes)

#137773 - 27/01/2003 14:17 Re: Inspiration for a new visual. [Re: rowitech]
rowitech
enthusiast

Loc: Germany, Cologne
Sorry,

I was just toooo anxious. The status bar and the sounds on my harddisk got my nerves out of control. Just started again and did the thing do what it wanted to do.
So I got a wonderful screen full of wonderful things, looks even better :-).

regards,
Rolf