Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#137841 - 27/01/2003 12:41 TrakM8
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Has anyone got one of these TrakM8 GPS trackers? www.trakm8.com

I'm tempted due to the lack of any subscription and the speed camera warning!

It has serial connections so I was wondering if it could do anything with the Empeg.

#137842 - 27/01/2003 12:59 Re: TrakM8 [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
snoopstah
enthusiast

Loc: Squamish, BC
Sweet! I've been looking at these before - I've liked the concept of one of these, but up till now they all use the serial port to just update the speed camera database, rather than allowing you to output positional data.

However, this one will let you feed data down the serial port in standard NMEA format, allowing you to use it for GPSApp as well as for monitoring speed camera sites! Cool!
Empeg Mk2a 128G with amber lit buttons kit - #30102490

PhotoVancouver | Squamish, BC Webcam | Personal Website

#137843 - 27/01/2003 16:52 Re: TrakM8 [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I've got one of the Morpheous Geodesy units I've had for about a year - very good, but just speed camera warnings. It's pocketable and just clips into the mount, so can be easily moved between cars. Comes with a modem cradle, you just drop it in & it phones home to update the database & firmware. It *does* warn you of cameras facing the other way on the same road, though, which is something the competition's units have sussed.

Avoid their Roadpilot though - I got one and sent it back. Dim & whining backlight, too-quiet warnings and a screen unreadable due to reflection.

There are others to consider - Road Angel, Snooper's S6-R, Origin Blue-i and the Cyclops all of which are GPS + database of speed cameras.

This place seems to sell all of them, pretty much: http://www.radardetectors.co.uk/

Hugo