Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#138064 - 28/01/2003 21:44 Lefty disadvantage for a PDA
russmeister
enthusiast

Loc: South Carolina
I recently purchased a Dell Axim. This is my first PDA and I have run into a bit of a problem. Ok, not a problem but a discomfort. While browsing through different programs time and time again I continue to have problems with the scroll bar that is conveniently located on the right hand side of the screen for the "normal" people. As im sure you can invision, everytime I scroll through something my hand blocks my view of the screen causing much displeasure.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that would invert the position of the scroll bar to the left of the screen or could someone possibly write a program that will do this?

Im running Pocket PC 2002.

#138065 - 28/01/2003 22:13 Re: Lefty disadvantage for a PDA [Re: russmeister]
leftyfb
enthusiast

Loc: Lowell, MA
Am I the only lefty that knows how to adapt? We live in a righty world ...

One thing i'll mention is I can't stand lefty's who change the mouse buttons around. Being a Network Admin i've run into a few of these. Can't understand why they can't just get used to how it's setup, i've been doing it for over 10 years.

#138066 - 28/01/2003 22:49 Re: Lefty disadvantage for a PDA [Re: leftyfb]
russmeister
enthusiast

I have no problem with the mouse. I never thought about using it "lefthanded." It was introduced to me righthanded therefore never creating a problem. Of course, the simplicity of its use can be accommodated with either hand. It's just natural to hold my PDA with my right hand while browsing, writing, etc. with my left. It's just like holding a notepad and writing on it.

For my PDA I could try to coordinate myself to use my right hand but that could possibly take years to do. My right hand coordination is atrocious. Of course having the gift of ambidexterity would be great but I dont possess that.

I had shoulder surgery a few years back on my left shoulder after suffering a torn rotator cuff from pitching. I had to learn to do everything with my right hand from brushing my teeth to wiping my "rear"(righties, try using your left hand for eight weeks and let me know what you think). I never really caught on to any of it and I dont want to go back there voluntarily either.

#138067 - 29/01/2003 02:42 Re: Lefty disadvantage for a PDA [Re: russmeister]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
In reply to:

had to learn to do everything with my right hand from brushing my teeth to wiping my "rear"(righties, try using your left hand for eight weeks and let me know what you think). I never really caught on to any of it and I dont want to go back there voluntarily either.

Well I'm a lefty, and I've been using my right hand for you know what ever since I can remember - it just seems, so, um, natural to do it that way.

Any muslims out there? Well, next time you shake someones *right* hand - or they hand you something in their right hand, just think, maybe they're left handed too -except where it *really* matters ...

...so the next time anyone offers you something in their left hand, don't get offended - it might just be they're doing you a favour.

#138068 - 29/01/2003 03:38 Re: Lefty disadvantage for a PDA [Re: russmeister]
V99

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Not that this helps you, but for Palm there's a hack to make scrollbars appear on the left in most apps, and a pref file you can create to tell compliant apps (there's a few of them..) to switch to lefty mode.

#138069 - 29/01/2003 04:35 Re: Lefty disadvantage for a PDA [Re: V99]
russmeister
enthusiast

Where can I find this? Maybe you can post a link?

#138070 - 29/01/2003 09:23 Re: Lefty disadvantage for a PDA [Re: leftyfb]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
In a previous job when I did internal tech support our company used the remote control feature of Microsoft SMS to assist users who were completely lost. One day I started a remote session to a user's pc, and I found that wherever I clicked, context menus popped up. A few seconds later I realized what was happening.

"Are you left handed?", I asked the user over the phone.

"Oh my God, how did you know??", responded the lady.

She must have thought that I could see her as well as control her computer. The awe and disbelief in her voice was enough for me to have to mute my phone while I had a good laugh.

#138071 - 29/01/2003 15:20 Re: Lefty disadvantage for a PDA [Re: russmeister]
V99

Loc: Phoenix, AZ