Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#143883 - 17/02/2003 14:28 Empeg install into 2002 Suburban
bodybag
addict

Loc: Southern California
Simple and fairly quick... true audiophiles will hate it... most will find it wildly functional... bottom line - it's the wife's car anyway!

Objective - install Empeg to be used with the factory installed stereo system, On-Star, and rear radio controls.

Removed factory tape player from center console but left factory wiring intact. Hardest part of the install is placing the sled in the spot where the tape player was. It will take some time, but if you have a dremel it's no problem. Empeg fits nicely where the factory tape player was. Angle is excellent for the driver to see the Empeg display, location is low enough to avoid most glare issues, looks like a factory mounting location, plenty of room behind the console for wiring and sled.

Here's the best part - Wiring
Because I left the factory wiring intact, I was able to re-mount the factory tape player under the console and reconnect it to the stereo system. Now, audiophiles plug your ears and close your eyes, I used a cassette to stereo headphone adapter connected it to a female stereo headphone to RCA adapter and plugged it into the Empeg's front output jacks. Then I tapped into the factory harness that supplies power to the tape player and connected the Empegs necessary power and ground leads. Voila, Empeg connected and playing!

Outcome - Basically the Empeg acts as if it was part of the original stereo system. It can be easily accessed by switching to "AUX" (which is used to play tapes) on the factory stereo. This turns on the Empeg and starts playing as normal. Also, no changes have been made to the On-Star system so it works properly still. Additionally, the rear passenger stereo controls are still completely functional too. Empeg can be controlled from the backseats with the Rio remote.

Simple and easy enough for the wife to operate, sounds pretty good for a factory stereo too! Can't really detect sound quality loss, although I'm sure there is some due to the cassette adapter. I would note that the Empeg's volume has to be reduced to about -22.00 to make an even transition from Empeg play to standard radio or CD volume

#143884 - 20/02/2003 11:16 Re: Empeg install into 2002 Suburban [Re: bodybag]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
Where did you get the wiring specs for the cassette?
I have been hunting all over and cannot find any info...

#143885 - 23/02/2003 20:44 Re: Empeg install into 2002 Suburban [Re: bodybag]
thrasher
enthusiast

any chance of you posting some pics of what it looks like instaled there.