Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#145968 - 26/02/2003 18:38 AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
I'm posting this at the suggestion of mschrag as to possibilites/suggestions.
I had been getting 'auto-updateing Hijack' errors with JEmplode saying I need to be connected via ethernet and have version xxx of Hijack to update Hijack. The thing is I was connected via ethernet & had the required Hijack version. This only happened once in a while and I recently found out why. My player was booting up in DC mode on AC power because I had switched it a while back until I noticed one day @ home the screen was different, car mode, did I switch it back to normal operation via the Hijack menu. Once I changed the player back to 'normal' or AC mode JEmplode let me auto-update Hijack w/o the error. So what you say, well I wonder if there's a way to either have, suggestion 1) a small indication on the display of what mode the player is in or 2) have the player upon a reboot switch back to 'normal' state of where it's at, AC or DC power. Of course there doesn't have to be any changes made at all if everyone knows this happens when your getting the error using JEmplodes 'auto-update Hijack' feature.

#145969 - 26/02/2003 19:01 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: jwickis]
tman
carpal tunnel

What do you mean "switch back to 'normal' state of where it's at, AC or DC power"?
I've never used JEmplode to update my empeg so I could be wrong. No idea if Hijack will let you rewrite the Flash memory when on DC but the bootloader won't let you for certain. That's the problem you've got. I guess JEmplode could request http://your.empeg.ip.here/proc/empeg_power and parse that to work out what mode it is currently in. It would only work with Hijack but since you're attempt to update Hijack anyway it shouldn't matter.

- Trevor

#145970 - 26/02/2003 19:14 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Or, easier, just put "DC_Servers=1" in your Hijack configuration, and it will work properly in both AC and DC mode.

I don't remember the exact syntax, the above could be wrong, check the hijack FAQ for details.

#145971 - 26/02/2003 19:25 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: tman]
jwickis
addict

What do you mean "switch back to 'normal' state of where it's at, AC or DC power"?
What I meant by that was if it's plugged in AC then boot as such and vice/versa that's all. I know nothing of programming I was merely throwing this out to the masses as a whatif. There doesn't have to be anything done/changed at all. I had PM'd the creator of JEmplode (mschrag) and he suggested me post my findings here. My thoughts also were that if people were having problems like I was having, then this is what was happening and the remedy, to change power modes. I don't think mschrag knows why it won't update in DC mode using JEmplode.

#145972 - 26/02/2003 19:27 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

Well OK thanks I'll try that. I really did search FAQ before putting this up using the words Hijack DC mode and got nada, even DC mode returned zelch.

#145973 - 26/02/2003 19:32 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

using the words Hijack DC mode and got nada
Because the FAQ search is "exact phrase only", not a fuzzy search. Even says so next to the search box.

#145974 - 26/02/2003 19:32 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Maybe we need a FAQ for the FAQ.

#145975 - 26/02/2003 19:40 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Maybe someone can fix that. Any particular reason it's still that way?

#145976 - 26/02/2003 19:44 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

yea I just saw this when I tried again, sorry.
I put the dc server=1 line into config.ini but that doesn't seem to make it boot automatically to whatever power source it's on. If this is not what you meant by adding this line then what does it do, I don't use khttp or for that matter know what that is.

#145977 - 26/02/2003 19:45 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Maybe someone can fix that. Any particular reason it's still that way?
Yeah, when Tom asked for example code to do that, no one supplied him with any. At least, not any he could use.

I could be mistaken, but that's the way I seem to recall it.

#145978 - 26/02/2003 19:48 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

If this is not what you meant by adding this line then what does it do, I don't use khttp or for that matter know what that is.
Your initial complaint was that you couldn't use Jemplode to auto-update Hijack when it was in forced-DC mode.

That's because hijack doesn't enable KFTPD in DC mode, and Jemplode can only update Hijack through KFTPD.

So, by telling Hijack to enable "DC_Servers", you solve the problem, and now Jemplode can update Hijack even if it's in DC mode.

#145979 - 26/02/2003 19:49 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: tonyc]
foxtrot_xray
addict

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

Maybe we need a FAQ for the FAQ.

Huh.. And then we would need a FAQ FAQ master?
And if someone tried to break into the FAQ database, they'd be a FAQ FAQ Hacker?

Sorry. :>

#145980 - 26/02/2003 20:00 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I am probably looking at a do-nothing day at work tomorrow. Maybe I could whip something up. Of course, I have no idea what the back end looks like to search through, or what the front end looks like to search from.

#145981 - 26/02/2003 20:54 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

Gee do I feel stupid? Yes. I gotcha now, I thought maybe it forced the player to boot in whatever power source it was currently on. I know absolutely nothing about KFTPD.
I'll try it now.
Thanks.

Well that's easy enough works great.
Now how about another thing I was wondering about. BTW I didn't mean for this to sound like a complaint I wouldn't even have posted this here except for mschrag suggesting I do.

Sometimes when I get in the car after it's set for awhile the player has no life meaning no LED and button presses do nothing no matter how long they're pressed. Any ideas what that could be.

Also the single best Hijack feature for so far has been the VolumeLevel on Boot, I love this feature since I tend to leave the volume up very loud the night before only to be blasted by the TTS clock voice next morning. I loved the TTS clock too much to get rid of it and there's no adjusting the volume in the midst of a bootup.

Edited by jwickis (26/02/2003 21:08)

#145982 - 26/02/2003 21:34 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Sometimes when I get in the car after it's set for awhile the player has no life meaning no LED and button presses do nothing no matter how long they're pressed. Any ideas what that could be.
It's supposed to work that way. Details here.

#145983 - 26/02/2003 21:44 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: tfabris]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

FAQing him twice in the same thread....that's harsh.

(but fair..)

Yeah, the Forced AC/DC has caught me out when doing some developing/testing a few times in the past too. It's so easy to forget that you've set DC mode, especially if you get interrupted and don't get back to it for a few days. Very frustrating. I ended up setting DC_server to avoid this. I wouldn't be too shocked if Mark had added the DC_server functionality for the same reason...

#145984 - 27/02/2003 09:27 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

OK the FAQ says:"After the player has fully powered off, you will need to turn on the car's ignition again in order to wake the player.". I should've clarified my first ? more in that after I've started the engine after the player has fully powered off it still doesn't wake up, no response either from the buttons or knob. I have to pull the player from the sled and re-insert it to get to reboot to get it to start playing, it remains dead until I do this, but this doesn't happen all the time. My player is connected to an ignition wire and it does come back to life when shut off by the ignition I can press a button or turn the knob and it turns back on as long as it hasn't gone into a fully powered off condition.

Edited by jwickis (27/02/2003 09:39)

#145985 - 27/02/2003 11:11 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: jwickis]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Ah. OK then, it sounds like a blown fuse somewhere, or a wiring mistake (or loose connection) somewhere. Or maybe the sensor switch problem on the AC jack.

#145986 - 27/02/2003 12:20 Re: AC/DC mode & JEmplode/Hijack [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

All I can think of is it's happening upon shutdown. I mean it goes into standby like any other time except sometimes I'll come back and start the car and it comes to life and other times it's powered off completely and won't respond to starting car. Looks like it would happen all the time, I'm going to check the ignition wire and also the docking connector to see if a another wire is loose. I checked & had some last year after reading about the wires pulling out because of bad crimping. I just wanted to check on the BBS first to see if it was a bug I wasn't aware of.