Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#146158 - 27/02/2003 12:36 Better display in gpsapp
fossi
journeyman

Loc: Germany
Suggestion for gpsapp:

In map mode as well an in route mode the text lines are scrolled forward and backward to display each line on the display. The distance to the next turn is scrolled as well.

When driving it is quite hard to recognise the distance to the next turn while scrolling as it is only displayed for short time.

Suggestion:
Separate distance to next turn and description of the turn and only scroll the description, not the distance. In map mode the distance could be displayed in another line.

Juergen

#146159 - 27/02/2003 13:16 Re: Better display in gpsapp [Re: fossi]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The "distance to next turn" was only added to the scroll text in a recent release. Prior to that, it was one of the displays on the right-hand side of the screen.

The right hand side of the screen used to show distance to the end of the trip and distance to next turn. Now it shows distance to end of trip and speed.

I'd rather be able to see all three pieces of information on the right somehow, perhaps making the arrow smaller so all three would fit. Or allow them to be configurable and selectable from the menu. Or allow one or more of them to be a text overlay on the main screen.

If all three can't fit on the right, then perhaps a simple menu option letting you toggle the distance display between Next Turn and End Of Trip would be enough. I could leave it on "Next Turn" by default, and occasionally change it to "End Of Trip" if I feel I want to peek at that number.

#146160 - 27/02/2003 13:47 Re: Better display in gpsapp [Re: tfabris]
fossi
journeyman

Loc: Germany
Why not place it in the left corner one line above the scrolling text, would narrow the map screen a little bit but still acceptable.

#146161 - 27/02/2003 23:00 Re: Better display in gpsapp [Re: tfabris]
jaharkes
enthusiast

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, I know. It turned out to be a stupid placement. The version that is checked into CVS already has it fixed. But I haven't really had time to merge one more patch from Derrick, test it and release a new binary.
40GB - serial #40104051 gpsapp

#146162 - 28/02/2003 11:19 Re: Better display in gpsapp [Re: jaharkes]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
I'd volunteer, but this is probably not the best time to deal with it (since we'd need to figure out how to deal with CVS committing), given that instead of being across campus I'm across the Atlantic for a week.